London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Road's former tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 16 June 2009 7.08am
Does anyone know what species of tree is outside the Age Concern near the Blue? not very tall, did have some sort of fruit on, with my eyes looked like olives..
Tuesday 16 June 2009 9.33am
Davies, the tree in question was hit by a bus in May 2008 (and a poor girl was killed):
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3317
Tuesday 16 June 2009 12.45pm
Thing to do now is keep an eye on it during October and get back to Laphroaig's guy at tfl if a replacement isn't planted.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 8.16pm
So, wait, the hole has been filled in and the fencing removed, which is fantastic, but the traffic cones are still there? Are they supposed to stay until October?
Tuesday 16 June 2009 9.51pm
I assume they're there because the surface of the (soft earth or sand) infill isn't level with the surrounding pavement - and even if it were, would still be a trip hazard. Seems fairly sane to me. It's only a couple of paving slabs square.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 9.53pm
Sorry, suppose to be more accurate I should be less specific and say only a couple of paving slabs or so square.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 10.45pm
I recommend you put a large hole in front of a councillors home and see how quickly that gets filled in.

I like a good fight and I am happy to take on TFL, because waiting one day is bad enough and dangerous enough, but waiting weeks is appalling.
Wednesday 17 June 2009 9.21am
Weeks? Try 13 months so far! But I don't think much can be done at this point since they won't plant a tree until October. I'm just glad they finally took down the fencing. Thanks for the report, aoibhneas.
Thursday 18 June 2009 1.27am
Laphroaig wrote:
Davies, the tree in question was hit by a bus in May 2008 (and a poor girl was killed):
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3317

I know and I'm terribly sorry for the poor woman. It could have been any of us too.

But what was the point of killing the tree? Revenge?

What was the tree supposed to have done, dodged?
Thursday 18 June 2009 7.37am
Davies perhaps had the tree remained in situ it may have been a constant reminder to her family? or was it because nearby works had weakend the root system.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions