London SE1 community website

Pub on the corner of Lynton and Dunton Roads?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 14 October 2008 4.19am
I happen to live opposite and I know that the number of the Pub is no79, conquering hero was number no73 and the greyhound was no84 unless theyve changed the numbers around along the street but then again claremont arms has always been at no32. hmmmm
it is strange because theres plenty of records of all of the other pubs. thanks for everyones help though
Saturday 25 October 2008 2.34am
is there any way i can find out? such as going to a records office? does anyone know if there is a records office nearby?

thanks
Tuesday 4 November 2008 7.23am
In an old map I have, it is labeled The Greyhound.
It's the white one which has octopus written on it now, right?
Tuesday 4 November 2008 3.03pm
yup thats right, the octopus isnt on it anymore, but it used to be called octopus house as it was a cleaning company. so the door numbers have changed... i thought it probably was the greyhound because at 73 where conquering hero was supposed to be was a just house which had always been a house. Thanks for the confirmation. just out of interest, how old is your map?
Wednesday 5 November 2008 4.53pm
A friend of mine lived in one of the flats there a few years ago. No remaining pub features inside but the ceilings are high as you might expect, and the floors very wonky with a noticeable slope in one of the rooms.
Thursday 6 November 2008 11.24am
does anyone know what is being built there now on that corner, another pub or just more flats/houses?
Friday 7 November 2008 12.24am
melodyb wrote:
does anyone know what is being built there now on that corner, another pub or just more flats/houses?

there building this, this from another topic
(8 lynton rd)
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/74617

but whatever theyre building i wish they'd hurry up and get on with it because the foundation work that they're doing makes the ground and houses in this end of the street shake.(just like in jurassic park)
Monday 30 July 2012 8.33pm
The pub that was on the corner of Dunton Road and Lynton Road was the "Conquering Hero". The row of houses next to it where demolished when access to the railway yard (confusingly called Willow Walk yard) was built right next to it. The building was more recently used by the Octopus Cleaning Company and is noe residential.
Monday 30 July 2012 8.40pm
Ooops, sorry. Didn't know there was another page to this thread.

The Greyhound was on the other side of what become the railway bridge. It was below the new road level because of the slope for the bridge in a row of houses known as Greyhound Terrace (opposite the position of Rolls Road and backing onto the cattle yard).

Image of entrance to Willow Walk railway yard shown the white painted Octopus Cleaning building behind (March 1969):
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fjroll/7019047369/
Tuesday 31 July 2012 10.48am
Hi underwood_boom,

Yes I do believe that the buildings were renumbered. Not sure, but think this was probably at the same time as the re-naming from Upper Grange Road to Dunton Road.

For info, PO/Kelly directories list "The Greyhound" as being between Willow Walk and Marcia Road, ie other side of the road to the building in question. This ties up with the aforementioned "Greyhound Terrace" up next to the gate into the yard behind Marcia Road.

Image 1969: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fjroll/7019046623/in/set-72157629306303730
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions