London SE1 community website

Charities that collect stuff

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 25 January 2010 11.02pm
Furniture Aid South Thames is my favourite destination for surplus furniture when I'm out in The Bigvan. Yes, I assign stuff to needy friends first, but then I 'bee line' to Vauxhall to drop whatever I can there. Their warehouse is open only to those who are referred by local councilors, or social services, so their clients really appreciate the stuff they supply, at below market rates.
They can collect too!
Tuesday 26 January 2010 11.11pm
Hi there,

It all depends on the amount of stuff you are looking to get rid of. Scope will collect but they need the equivilant of 7 bags of items to make it worth the pit stop.
The better bet is freecycle. Its a bit of an antiquated website, but once you get past it, its great.
Basically you list unwanted items and people who are interested collect it. And, if its not as advertised, you don't need to take it away, so its only really worth signing up and listing items if they are usable. Otherwise there is always the myriad of theatre prop houses in the area. The National Theatre's prop storage is based in Kennington, but they do have a van to collect items. Try their website and search for prop hire and then give them a call.
Other theatres with prop houses in the area (I used to work as a Stage Manager so I know them all), are the English Touring Theatre (just off of the Cut opposite the Young Vic), The Young Vic (but their warehouse is quite small). I am not sure if the Old Vic has a storage unit or if they just have an agreement with the National.
Other places worth trying are the Royal Opera House, the BBC, and the Almeida Theatres. All have big enough budgets to warrent someone collecting items.
Hope this is useful!
Cheers!
Wednesday 27 January 2010 10.38am
Hi, thanks to everyone that gave me ideas. The majority of the 'stuff' is kitchenware - pots and pans, small items of furniture, etc, too much to list on freecycle, but I did speak to a very nice man at Erasmas and they seem to be able to take our 'stuff'.

This seems an appropriate charity as the hall is close to what was the bullring so we have already benefited from the work that has been done there and hopefully can contribute to future projects and help more of the local homeless get a new start.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions