London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14
Tuesday 21 October 2008 3.26pm
As much as I love independent small films - I would love there to be a normal cinema showing the latest popular releases.

We have the NFT on the Southbank which does independent films better than anyone else and the Roxy on Borough High Street occasionally showing a lesser known production. I don't think there is anything in walking distance where we can see a popular film around here but then again I could just get in the car/tube to Surrey Quays or West End
Tuesday 21 October 2008 3.34pm
There's a four-screen mainstream cinema in the Oakmayne Plaza development at the Elephant, if it ever gets off the ground...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 3.41pm
If anyone should know - James should know

Thanks - will keep an eye out in the meantime they can still buy in bigger productions for me right?
Sunday 1 March 2009 8.56pm
RE: Shortwave Cinema. There does seem to have been quite a lot of work going on in the last couple of weeks. They have constructed the bar area, and are applying for an alcohol licence so things seem to be happening... but still no news on when it might be opening. Does anyone have any more information?

I think this could be a great addition to the local area, one of the few positives out of the Bermondsey Square development.
Sunday 1 March 2009 9.02pm
well thats better news. i had heard that as a result of the economic collapse and the current cut-back climate the whole thing had fallen through. anyone know anything about the hotel?
Sunday 1 March 2009 9.25pm
All I know is that a lot of work is still going on there and that a lot of posters have gone up recently advertising an opening night at their restaurant/bar "Alfie's" in April, I think it's April 14th.
Sunday 1 March 2009 9.28pm
boroughpaul wrote:
anyone know anything about the hotel?
Hotel opens mid-April.

Monday 2 March 2009 10.40am
I was wandering by the Shortwave cinema the weekend before last and Rob whistled me in for a peek.

I was very impressed. They had some red plush bucket seats from the old Electric cinema going in (good omen!) and the bar area is smartly designed and crisply finished, with the cool addition of some moodily suspended red globe lights over the bar itself.

The cinema area behind the bar has only a few rows (some 45 seats in all), with a modest rake and cunningly offset seating to improve sight of the screen.

This is going to be a fantastic addition to the area.

I was previously worried that the small-scale format might be uneconomic in a recession, but now I am concerned that it may become so busy as a party-venue that the everyday delights of an art-house cinema may be eclipsed by the space's appeal.

Take a look next time you're passing and see what you think.

No info on the Hotel, but the antispectic wasteland of Bermondsey Square seems to be about to spring into life. I can only hope that the Antiques Market can thrive and that plans to use the newly-developed market space for Fashion on Saturday and possibly Food on Sunday are also runners in the long term.
Monday 2 March 2009 11.13am
Old SchoolYard, where is the Roxy? Never seen it.
Monday 2 March 2009 11.20am
Jackie - see here

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions