London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 14
Saturday 7 March 2009 2.23pm
Hey everyone on the thread, just to give you all an update. First let me say it's been great to read the positive comments above. We expect to be open within the next 3 weeks. Both bar and cinema are close to completion and we think the place is looking fantastic, hopefully having achieved our aim of retro chic but modern also. Rob Wray has been programming film festivals in South London for many years now, and we are developing relationships with some of the most exciting independent film distributors in the UK, so we shall be offering a program of new idependent films and classic/cult films as well as regular special events and mini-festivals. Please feel free to pop in and say hello to either myself or Rob Wray over the next few weeks.
Saturday 7 March 2009 4.19pm
Great news, Jason! Will there be a website to show what's on?
Saturday 7 March 2009 5.53pm
website going live in the next few weeks. Watch this thread for news on website and bar opening, and of course once the doors are open, pop in for a coffee and a chat!
Saturday 7 March 2009 5.54pm
Will do!
Saturday 7 March 2009 7.23pm
Hi Jason
Any chance you'll be doing live opera relays? There's one happening right now from the Met in New York and, while not as good as being there live, it's a great way of experiencing a production that one would not get the chance to see.
Sunday 8 March 2009 8.17am
ceity slicker wrote:
I was wandering by the Shortwave cinema the weekend before last and Rob whistled me in for a peek.
I was very impressed. They had some red plush bucket seats from the old Electric cinema going in (good omen!) and the bar area is smartly designed and crisply finished, with the cool addition of some moodily suspended red globe lights over the bar itself.

The cinema area behind the bar has only a few rows (some 45 seats in all), with a modest rake and cunningly offset seating to improve sight of the screen.

This is going to be a fantastic addition to the area.

I also got a tour from Rob yesterday when he spotted me looking through the window. I'd echo everything that ceity slicker says, it's a great little space and really nicely done out, I particularly liked the seats from the Electric Cinema, real old skool cinema style!

Looking forward very much to it opening and wish Rob and Jason all the best for what I am sure will be a great little addition to SE1. I will certainly frequenting it, I love art house cinemas so having one literally across the road from me is awesome!
Sunday 8 March 2009 1.28pm
Good to hear it's opening soon. I haven't had the tour but I've peered through the windows and, to my eye, it's looking good. Besides the films, it'll be great to have a new stop-off on my bee-line from home to the river.
Monday 9 March 2009 10.35am
Very excited about this too! I second JayBee on the Live from the Met screenings. We've been peeping around the square, and still haven't spotted the location of the cinema!

Also very keen to see any Parent and Baby Cinema screening times planned during the day, since there's a community of mums looking for a place to hang out!

Loving the idea of using the old Electric seats--many a happy memories of them from the days when we lived in Notting Hill before moving to SE1.
Thursday 12 March 2009 12.09pm
Me too, pianova - I lived a few minutes from the Electric in the 80s. Heady days :P

I was looking for signs of life and hoping for a tour, this morning - but nobody was there. The Cafe/Bar is taking shape.

I started my work in Cinema Management, in the 60s, when we had 2553 seats to fill. And we often did!
The wouldn't now, lol.
Thursday 12 March 2009 2.42pm
Pianova, how have you missed us?? just look for the glowing red ufos. Mums and babies' mid-morning weekly event has been discussed and we will be doing something. Anyone who's walked by in the last few days will see we now have most of the furniture in, so keep watching this space!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions