London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 14
Tuesday 7 April 2009 11.13am
Looking forward to it. I stopped by for a drink at the weekend too. Nice, friendly place.
Tuesday 7 April 2009 11.57am
aoibhneas wrote:
Looking forward to it. I stopped by for a drink at the weekend too. Nice, friendly place.

Exceedingly :p
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.41pm
Listings for April now here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/places/shortwave/events

And Rob talks through what's on this month:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.46pm
at what age is one considered "older"?
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.51pm
Over 60 according to the council - that screening is part of the Silver festival:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/silver

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.53pm
Thanks James - at least I'm still too young for something! ;))
Friday 10 April 2009 12.06am
So am I....for the next 5 weeks, lol.

Saw the opening film this evening, with a 'respectable' number of others. A really enjoyable experience, sitting in the very comfortable and intimate auditorium.

Here's to many such pleasant evenings - and afternoons.

Well done, Guys. Mr Goldwyn would be proud of you! :p
Tuesday 14 April 2009 3.36pm
The level of enthusiasm from people for this venture suggests it will be well patronised and become a firm local favourite. It is certainly helpful that a local is taking it on, and from our experience from the opening night we'll be back, soon. Also, the bar seems to be well used by non cinema goers, and there's often someone there who we know when we go by.
As a previous resident of Bermondsey Square it is good to see the develpment nearly complete. Better than the dangerous rat run and outdoor toilet that it was before!
Jac
Tuesday 14 April 2009 9.32pm
I went Friday to the 6.30pm viewing and it really was very nice. Had a coffee first and wine after. In a perfect world there would be somewhere to put your drinks that you can take in with you although we didn't and the seats would be a little larger (for us larger proportioned people) but that said they were comfortable which is the main thing. One small complaint, the exit doors are to either side of the screen and the illuminated signs above them, which i know have to be there for health and safety reasons were rather bright and a little distracting as if sitting to one side they are in your line of vision, would be wonderful if these could be dimmed a little during the screening.

I got out of the habit of going out to see films, when the mini jacs came along and cost of the flicks and baby sitting made it prohibitively expensive. With this little gem of a place practically on my door step and the mini jacs no longer mini I am sure I shall be going a lot more often in the future
Tuesday 14 April 2009 10.42pm
Thank you all for all of your positive feedback and advice, all comments are greatly appreciated to make sure we get it right. I must say the support & positive feeling we are getting is greatly appreciated.

(exit signs we may be stuck with as are, but we'll certainly look into it and see what we can do)!

Rob & Jason
Current: 7 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions