London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 14
Wednesday 15 April 2009 11.26am
Has anyone got a contact number please? The one on the website looks wrong and doesn't work.

Many thanks.

Mrs. Erniebug
Wednesday 15 April 2009 11.30am
the one on the website is indeed wrong, i am working this very second on changing that. if you need to contact us urgently, please send me a personal message via this website, and we shall deal with it as soon as poss.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 1.25pm
I went last weekend as well, and thought the same thing about the exit signs. They're terribly distracting. I wonder if they could be relocated to the side walls instead of the same wall as the screen?

Didn't realize I could bring in a drink until after the doors opened. Next time!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 2.04pm
The cinema is lovely with twinkley star lights on the walls... a nice touch with something of hollywood about them! a good choice of opening films too. however...visited the cafe bar today and quite frankly the coffee served up was atrocious. weak and milky cappuccino and an even more washed out latte (both served at near boiling point). the girl making and serving drinks is clearly learning and its early days yet and i soooo want this place to do well but the food and drink just around the corner at Sobo is far superior. the decor and music however were faultless.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 4.46pm
I agree with 95% of what has been said here - both positive and negative. I also found the Exit signs distracting - but they have to go where they are placed for Safety regulations. If they were on the wall, people might walk into it...believe me, lol.

Regarding the coffee, whilst being more of a Tea-Man, I have found myself drinking more coffee recently, than in my entire life. This is due to my visits to Shortwave, where I have enjoyed every single cup [and the occasional single brandy too :p]

I know that the staff were given lengthy training with the coffee machine, over a fortnight ago, even coming in on their day/shift-off in order to do so.

Sitting in the sun, today, with coffee and brandy [after a pleasant lunch in The Woolpack's garden] it was a taste of what we hope is to come in Bermondsey Square.

As for the music - how fabulous to hear Astrud Gilberto being played, 45 years on!

The bar stools are the most comfortable I have ever sat on [and I've sat on a few]. I generally have to be prised off the stool at the end of the session.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 4.49pm
Thanks Phil.... I'll slip you that fiver next time you're in.

;o)
Jac
Wednesday 15 April 2009 5.11pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
I agree with 95% of what has been said here - both positive and negative. I also found the Exit signs distracting - but they have to go where they are placed for Safety regulations. If they were on the wall, people might walk into it...believe me, lol..

Of curse they have to be there, but my question to the shortwave team is do they have to be so bright during the film? It seems i am not the only one that find them quite distracting.

Also interesting that you mention training on the coffee machine, as when my friend ordered a coffee on Friday the person told her to let them know if it was disgusting as it was the first time they had used the machine. (perhaps they meant for real as apposed to for training or perhaps JAson really is slipping you a fiver philpotts! LOL) Her coffee was fine by the way as was mine.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 5.35pm
hmmmm...well without labouring the point it was both very weak and boiling hot. however teething troubles are always expected in new places and it will be given another chance!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 7.03pm
borough paul, sorry you had that experience, but i must say in our defence in all other cases our coffee has been very well received. feel free to pop by again though and try another cup.
Thursday 16 April 2009 12.27am
The girl who served me today was very friendly and freely admitted she didn't know how to make an iced coffee, but had a stab at it anyway, and it wasn't bad.
Current: 8 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions