London SE1 community website

If you don't live in SE1, where do you live?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Wednesday 2 May 2012 7.27am
...and a sleeping bag.
Wednesday 2 May 2012 6.48pm
Lived in Webber St for 25 years, now spending my retirement in Goring-by-Sea. Sounds a bit Dad's Armyish, but it's a couple of miles outside Worthing which is cool. Also the care home capital of Blighty, methinks.
Obviously can't vote for the Mayor, now, but I really do hope Boris is given his P45. London really cannot do with another term of his rascallian ways.
The best to all of you, yup, even you tories.
Cheers,
JC
Wednesday 2 May 2012 9.42pm
SE17

Like SE1, but rubbish
Monday 7 May 2012 7.01am
Kabul, Afghanistan. Only temporarily though...
Monday 7 May 2012 7.06am
Tom Pepper wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
Peter FC wrote:
R.Vanderwerf wrote:
@Jon & jackie: I've been a regular (5-6 times /year) visitor to SE1 for some years and now feel like it's my 2nd home. Regularly logging in at this forum to check waht's happening over there.
@boroughonian: ha, OK I like that one! No "coffeeshops" in my hometown (although liberals are the main political party in city council) and I prefer your pubs!

By the way: I almost hesitate to say this at a SE1 forum .... but are there any more Tottenham Hotspur fans down here?

Happy to admit that I am a Spurs fan!!

Keep taking the tablets Peter!

Tom, shouldn't that be "gehen auf den Blauen!" ?

I've no wish to be pedantic DJ but if anything it should be gehen auf "dem" blauen
in German, (I think.)

I was trying it in Dutch in honour of our guest from Amstelveen!

Yep - that was indeed German - not good.... The correct one would be "Kom op Blauwen" or "Hup Blauwen". Being Dutch, I'm probably not supposed to say this, but I prefer to watch the rugby
Monday 7 May 2012 7.08am
Wow Tattie, that must be equal parts fascinating and scary.

Sat at an Departures lounge in India last year I got talking to a father and son from Australia and New York who were making their return after the death of a family member from old age and was struck by their surprise that I thought it must be a dangerous place to live. They shrugged it off as a minor nuisance!
Monday 7 May 2012 7.15am
Tolstoy wrote:
Wow Tattie, that must be equal parts fascinating and scary.
Sat at an Departures lounge in India last year I got talking to a father and son from Australia and New York who were making their return after the death of a family member from old age and was struck by their surprise that I thought it must be a dangerous place to live. They shrugged it off as a minor nuisance!

Personally I find it fascinating. In the midst of when all kicked off a couple of weeks ago kids were making the most of it by playing football in the streets in the evenings. After all, many roads were closed and it was well lit...
Monday 7 May 2012 9.42am
It's a question of perception isn't it. I'm always struck by how the broad brushstrokes of a country's character change once you find yourself looking for a public toilet, trying to fathom some archaic public transport system, or just being conscious of whether you can drink the water, etc.

Of course in general I guess the locals do not consider themselves a target in the troubles. I'm reminded of spending two years in Belfast without any real difficulties, only to return one summer and narrowly avoid being caught up in the bombing in Soho back in '99.
Monday 7 May 2012 11.05am
When I first had to decide whether to go here or not all hell broke loose in London....
Tuesday 8 May 2012 5.48am
Heavens Tattie, I was WONDERING where you'd got to...well, it's certainly different, I'll grant you that! Stay safe.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions