London SE1 community website

Knife sharpening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 22 October 2008 7.18pm
I've had a Chantry knife sharpener for about 15 years. Never had to buy new knifes, they're used every day and they are as sharp as a tack all the time. Quite possibly the best bit of kitchen kit that I have.

Chantry Knife Sharpener
Thursday 23 October 2008 12.51pm
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I will have to pick up one of those sharpener things. I'm really surprised at the lack of professional sharpening places!
Thursday 23 October 2008 3.46pm
kenhaynes wrote:
I've had a Chantry knife sharpener for about 15 years. Never had to buy new knifes, they're used every day and they are as sharp as a tack all the time. Quite possibly the best bit of kitchen kit that I have.
Chantry Knife Sharpener

This may be the most useful post I've ever experienced. I cannot STAND the sound of metal being scraped against metal and have extremely blunt knives as a result. I occasionally buy a knife sharpener, but they have so far all been rubbish and I can't use steels or wet stones because the sound really makes me feel sick. My housemate even took all my knives to be sharpened as my Christmas present last year. One of these things may rectify the problem. Cheers!
Thursday 23 October 2008 10.16pm
Hellsbells, where did your housemate take your knives?

(And did you ever think of using your iPod while sharpening?)
Friday 24 October 2008 1.05pm
I think she went somewhere in Soho. I'll find out (but it may take some time as she recently moved out and is notorious for not answering her phone!) As for the iPod, I must be the only person in the world without one and my ancient generic mp3 player has gone phut and I'm not looking to replace it. The older I get the more loom-smashing luddite in attitude I become... :-)
Friday 24 October 2008 1.12pm
In the meantime, there's always these:

http://tinyurl.com/6mvuc8
Friday 24 October 2008 3.14pm
Thanks--I'd Googled for this before, but most of the ones I found seem to do it for restaurants and other high-volume places. Some, interestingly, have a scheme where they supply knives and then exchange them periodically for re-sharpened ones. I just have a couple of knives, so I don't think I'm the target market. I'll look through this list, though.

I know there's a place in Soho that sells a lot of knives. I wonder if that's where she went? I can't remember the name of it, and haven't been by there lately, or I would have tried it first.
Friday 24 October 2008 6.26pm
"I know there's a place in Soho that sells a lot of knives..."

Jaeggi Leon & Sons - 77 Shaftesbury Avenue and Pages at 121.
Friday 24 October 2008 7.47pm
Thanks, but I don't think it's on Shaftesbury ... I'll take a look next time I'm in the area.
Jac
Saturday 25 October 2008 5.01pm
I used to get my knives sharpened at the tool shop on lower marsh but it's been so long since I have been down there I wasn't sure if it still exsisted. A quick google and it apears it does. They use to send them away or only do it in a certaimn day but worth enquiring, they were very good. The chantry knife sharpener whilst very good are no good for globel and some of the other newer high quality kives which should be sharpened on a stone or with a ceramic sharpner. I now use an electric ceramic sharpner by salter which is pretty good.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions