London SE1 community website

Planning applications for new housing around Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Friday 27 February 2009 8.43am
Tonight's public meeting about the loss of green/open space at these sites and others:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/6343/elephants-wont-forget

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 6 March 2009 11.59am
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3775

Tuesday 14 April 2009 1.25pm
It seems that the London & Quadrant schemes at Library Street and New Kent Road have been included in a project backed by the Mayor and the Homes & Communities Agency to provide discounted rents to future tenants/shared ownership buyers.

From the last Mayor's Question Time

Jenny Jones AM Can you provide full details of the Up2U programme of discounted rents that you have committed to support with 42m?

Boris Johnson As part of First Steps, London and Quadrant's UpToYou scheme will enable its customers to choose which product best suits their needs - either Intermediate Market Rent, Rent to HomeBuy or New Build HomeBuy.

I have set out below the list of sites included on the first phase announced on 3 March.

Westwood Lane Bexley
Enterprise House Bromley
St John Works Bromley
Haggerston Hackney
Penzance House Lambeth
Mantle Road Lewisham
Nightingale Grove Lewisham
The George, Rushey Green Lewisham
UEL Barking and Dagenham
Canning Town Newham
Sumner Road Southwark
Library Street Southwark
New Kent Road Southwark

Elysee - Amen Close Wandsworth

Monday 20 April 2009 9.42am
This report has a bit of info:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_41880.pdf

It seems that the Homes & Communities Agency has enabled the proportion of affordable housing in these 'early housing' sites to be substantially increased.

It also notes that the Library Street scheme won't start till the summer because of the need to move the housing office first (and the remaining prefab tenants, of course)...

Wednesday 22 April 2009 4.50pm
Not meaning this thread to become a monologue, but a few bits & pieces about the "early" housing sites from Monday's overview and scrutiny committee.

- The next planning applications are likely to be for Rouel Road and the site in Harper Road next to Symington House (where the Seizure art installation was)

- The Welsford Street site is "in flux"

- Some demolition on the Heygate could begin this year - though Cllr Humphreys seemed to be leaving the door open (so to speak) for making flats on the estate available again if the Lend Lease deal fall through.

Wednesday 6 May 2009 4.07pm
Horrified to come home this afternoon and find the 3 well established cherry trees outside Albert Barnes, that have produced incredible blossom year after year, possibly the ONLY truely beautiful thing at the E&C, gone. Chopped down. Upsetting. especially considering the ugly excrescence they're being replaced by.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 4.23pm
Oh no! How dreadful. Does this mean that some of these scandalous projects are beginning already?

I shall keep a beady eye on Library St daily. I have been seriously considering moving on to the Diversity Garden with a tent for the summer in an effort to stop this tragedy.

I had been kind of hoping that nothing would start to happen, the deadline would run out, the developers would decide they couldn't afford to build the excrescenses and we would get to keep all our desperately needed green and play spaces that they are snatching away from us. Dream on, I hear you say...
Wednesday 6 May 2009 4.36pm
actually, had been hoping those sorts of things myself. In fact wondering if now that they've removed the lovely trees, they'll do nothing more for years, leaving it a treeless scrubland.... It's like vandalism.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 9.15pm
Oh that is SO disgusting...we all enjoyed those gorgeous trees in our concrete wilderness....I;m gutted.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 11.09pm
Actually had a tear in my eye when I saw the stumps and the chopped up wood in the council van! Only a couple of weeks ago they were covered in fat pink blossoms, and the petals were everywhere. Really saddens me that this sort of decision has been taken.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions