London SE1 community website

parking fine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Monday 5 January 2004 9.43am
Are you suggesting that traffic wardens will try to issue, for instance, no right rurn tickets to cars who are not actually turning turning right illegally?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 5 January 2004 10.31am
I am suggesting that the law should be applied using a degree of reasonableness.

My own gripe with traffic wardens is that they are not policing the roads for the good of all road users, they are looking for technical offences to issue the maximum number of tickets.

I feel that on a junction such as Tower Bridge Road/Long Lane, they would exploit the ambiguous signage to collect fines. and not as a responsible body, look to improve the signage.

It is also not possible to get a permit prior to purchasing a new car, but it can be done on the same day.
Monday 5 January 2004 10.49am
Carp, carp, and more carp.

Traffic laws are there for good purposes. Wardens enforce them.

What's going on here is a good example of the increasing trait of people thinking that they are too special to have to follow the rules and then getting all upset and righteous when they get caught and punished.

If I disagree with parking restrictions or the associated penalties I need to lobby my council and/or my MP and try to get them to change the law.

In the meantime, I would have to be foolish/have money to burn (take your pick) to go and deliberately park in a permit area without having a permit. This is what mapmaker has done, and what you are defending.

Monday 5 January 2004 11.58am
Unbelievable - the arrogance of some motorists is astounding. In your world you can park where and when you want as long as *you* think its reasonable. You knowingly broke the law, have been correctly penalised, then expect sympathy off everyone. Grow up.
Jai
Monday 5 January 2004 1.08pm
We're all arrogant one way or another.

Varkenslachter
Monday 5 January 2004 1.19pm
I have to say I agree - you break the rules, expect the penalty. However, I can see some kind of logic there.

I used to work for Waitrose Customer Services. The majority of Waitrose car parks have time limitations (to stop people parking there who weren't shopping with us), and these limits are clearly signed on entry. However, quite often, the stores would leave the car park barriers up, and people would assume that this meant they wouldn't get fined if they overstayed their welcome. I ended up writing to a lot of stroppy customers who parked for 8 hours in a 2 hour limit space then complained because they didn't think the rules would apply when the barrier was up.

This is a bit similar I think - the assumption that if you're not being seen to be putting anyone else out, you're safe. Unfortunately, this is Britain and we abide by rules!

At least the speed camera people show a little initiative - if you get flashed doing 80 on an empty motorway at midnight, chances are they won't nab you because although you were breaking the rules, you weren't really being reckless. I guess a bit more of this common sense would be a joy to see...
Monday 5 January 2004 2.16pm
I object pretty strongly to having to pay for a resident's parking permit at all. The streets of Grange were never a problem for parking before the introduction of the resident's parking permit. It is a tax by any other name. Why do they need to CHARGE for a parking permit? They would say to cover the costs of operating the system. So then, why does it cost more to administer a 12 month ticket than a one month ticket? And why does the second book of 10 visitors' tickets cost more than the first book.

Policing an empty street is a bad application of an unnecessary law. Particularly when I had already put my 2 into a meter on the street, which had failed to produce a ticket. The next meter along was not working at all, and yes, I got bored with looking for a new machine, chanced it and lost.

And, no you cannot get a permit before you are in possesssion of the paperwork for your new car. And I had tried to buy some visitors permits to tide me over the first day or two, but as noted above the shop was not taking cards.
Monday 5 January 2004 3.49pm
To be honest - prior to the resident parking scheme we could not park down our street, commuters drove in, parked up, then bussed/trained to their places of work., in a small street it was chaos, and a nightmare for Don who was unable to walk more than a few yards, between 8 and 6 you were frightened to leave in the car because you could not guarantee a parking space on return
. reading your post again, why do they charge so much? the revenue they raise from parking fines should be enough to run the scheme....

same thing happened to my daughter when she got a new car!

jan
Monday 5 January 2004 4.10pm
One phrase from your message sums it up nicely, mapmaker:

"I...chanced it and lost"

Now, why not be a good mapmaker and accept your punishment quietly?

[or are you Archer in disguise?]

Monday 5 January 2004 6.22pm
Pay your dues. Can't believe the cheek of the car lobby, if they are not moaning about the congestion charge it is parking fines, even if legally issued. I think most Londoners move to the home counties when the need to park in front of your front door arises.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions