London SE1 community website

parking fine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Tuesday 6 January 2004 3.04pm
Its an offence to jaywalk in Germany but in the UK pedestrians actually have right of way. Its not that Londoners are still rebellious punks at heart but that both societies are working withing their resective legal framework. Car users, if you can do the time, do the crime, but go easy on the moral outrage.

Post edited (06 Jan 04 15:18)

gggggrrrrrruuff
Tuesday 6 January 2004 3.19pm
James,

Can you do anything about this rude character mapmaker? He seems intent on insulting me in public and on making allegations about my "very name"?

I will happily change my name, if ampy changes his attitude.

Hotdog,

Interesting point about Germany. I wonder if Germans spend more time campaigning to get the laws changed than they do moaning about getting tickets for jaywalking (assuming they disagree with the law)?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 3.33pm
Dear Carpmaker, and all this time I thought you were a fisherman....or a father of a carp......now your illustrous name has been sullied.......what has this forum come to? tut tut......

jan
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.04pm
I don't know Jan. And I really can't see how ampmaker gets all this stuff about anagrams and rudeness. But us fishermen do occasionally catch some odd, ugly specimens. [Wasn't it you who was advising holding them in newspaper whilst hitting them over the head with a blunt instrument in an earlier thread?]

But I am interested in getting back to people's thoughts about the issue of whether we should all live our own version of the law or the law's version, and whether (if we decide to live our own version) we have any right to complain when we get penalised.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.22pm
Hey Sarah.

as a life long Grauniad reader I hate the idea that my views might chime with the Daily Mail! Although someone has to hold this government to account, so if Blair trembles at the Mail's Headlines at least he trembles...

But it seems to me that in the past breaking laws can lead to good things (Gandhi, Women's Suffrage, Poll Tax refuseniks etc..).

Although I am not sure mapthingy was being racist about the people in the parking shop - that's a bit harsh.

Post edited (06 Jan 04 16:23)
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.36pm
I appreciate mapmakers frustrations! But to be fair, with a bit of pre-planning, and a trip back home/to cashpoint to pick up some money and having left enough time to sort it all out, the ticket could've been avoided.

Having had many parking/speeding/congestion zone fines recently, all due to my own carelessness, not reading signs, being in a hurry, forgetting to pay the daily charge etc., I say that if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I've been really p**sed off at all of these fines, but knowing the law as it stands, means I personally don't feel I have grounds to bemoan paying the fines.

On certain days though, it definitely makes me feel better to blame someone other than myself, even if it is unreasonable of me to do so. Sometimes you just need to air your frustrations...
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.41pm

maybe we need a 'Blowing Off' section (no sniggering) where people can air their frustrations?
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.41pm
I don't think the underlying issue is particularly whether we obey the law or not, but whether it is acceptable to have sections of the law administered by private firms for profit.

This is clearly what is happening with road traffic offences, and I think that the widespread frustration with our private traffic wardens is the result. I think it is a worrying and spreading development in our society, because when a private firm becomes divorced from the body that produces the law, reasonableness and logic have no place in their work
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.49pm
Ha ha redbus!

R.Shaw, excuse my ignorance, are traffic wardens privately run then?
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.55pm
Nice angle of debate there R.Shaw but it leads on that the best action for all peeved motorists to take is to park properly and thereby reduce the revenue of the filthy capitalists, they'd soon be out of business and what do you know, the laws would have worked.
Would members of the forum (particularly those that usually lighten up my day with their comments) pleeeease not compare compare Ghandi and the Indian revolution with getting a ticket for parking on double yellows.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions