London SE1 community website

parking fine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.02pm

hmmm, i hesitated myself before including ben kingsley in that list - some people do take parking fines verrry seriously though...
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.09pm
Depends on your point of view. If we are all Mail readers now, we might think that the explosion of cameras and fines is a serious threat to individual and personal liberties.

There again I might simply be trying to provoke debate (talking carp) in order to lighten up your day.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.14pm
Sarah,

spelling's slipping, old thing :-)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.19pm
How come people assume TLMJJ is in her twenties, whilst I've become 'old thing'.

Maybe I am turning reactionary in my old age.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.49pm
Happy New Year, Everyone

Mapmaker

Please don't be so presumptive of my motives! (I'd almost forgotten my post on the chatter forum in early December.)

Unless, could it be that Carpmaker and yourself have some Jekyll and Hyde relationship - given the identity of the only poster I've previously accused of trolling! (see below) I pity anyone having a dialogue with themself on this forum!

Topic: The Shard
Author: Lang Rabbie
Date: 16 Apr 03 17:55

... Hmm - do I scent that mapmaker has troll-like tendencies?

(NB Given the webmaster's concerns about defamation, "troll" is hereby taken to mean "characterised by a desire to sit on the foreshore under London Bridge", and not "intentionally making provocative assertions to ensure subsequent flaming".)

Post edited (06 Jan 04 17:51)
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.57pm
Well grovelling apologies then! I am glad to say that I have better things to do in my life than to argue with myself.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 7.45pm
Didn't the holy Rabbie also suggest that the opposite of lurker might be 'troll'? In which case we are all flaming trolls.
Wednesday 7 January 2004 8.09am
No offence intended by "old thing" Sarah. I just felt a Werthers moment coming on, and the antiquated form of address seemed appropriate (to me at least).

I'm sure you're positively newborn

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 7 January 2004 2.32pm
Sophie

The parking wardens with green caps are a private firm employed by Southwark. Almost all local authorities do the same. The parking wardens with yellow caps are the original wardens employed by the metropolitan police and they now only patrol the red routes, so we see them around Tower Bridge Road.

It is interesting that the met. police wardens, who in theory have a much more severe set of regulations to administer, (remember when the red routes came in how we were promised no mercy for infringements to keep the capitals key roads clear) are generally felt to be OK., because their primary responsibility is to keep the highways clear of obstructions, whereas the Southwark wardens job is to issue infringement notices

The administration of the traffic law by the police is also much more accepted by most than by the wardens or the cameras, and again I think this is because with traffic the police would say that their primary objective in applying the law is safety, not the numbers prosecuted. To go back right to the start of this thread when I jumped to the defence of those in the parking shop, I feel that the traffic wardens are very badly treated by their employers who have trained them to operate as automatons, in front of an educated and argumentative public.

Anyway enough of this, I've just realised I've been nice to the police, so I need a lie down in a dark room.
Friday 29 August 2008 10.46am
I want to slap people who come out with phrases like 'If you cant pay the fine, dont park illegally' - what kind of logic is this? Where I work it is literally impossible to park unless you have a residents badge or a Blue Badge. I am entitled to a Blue Badge but Southwark council are so useless that they are having problems getting my badge soreted, they have lost my paper work TWICE, and it has been 12 weeks since putting in the app. I CANNOT use public transport so need my car. I have got 9 Parking tickets - all of them have got to 180 as I simply cannot pay them

I have decided to buy a security gate to stop the baliffs - I earn 6000 a year, and there is no way on Earth I can pay these fines.

I am now a prisoner in my own home - all because I made the decision that even though I am disbaled, I wanted to be productive in society and work

I wander why I bother
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions