London SE1 community website

Boarding buses

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 29 October 2008 9.14am
Its hard to see how queues would work though at a bust stop where there are six different routes stopping. I think it happens at Waterloo partly because there are only one or two buses stopping at the stop in question.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 9.54am
Jackie's right, the bus stop at E&C especially near the bakerloo line is a joke. Even if they bought back conductors people would be to scared to take the job on!
Wednesday 29 October 2008 5.44pm
But where is the head of the queue for bendy buses with 3 entrances??
Wednesday 29 October 2008 5.51pm
I only realised today why the shelters at Tenison Way (Waterloo) are positioned the way they are: they line up with the three doors of the bendy buses on the 521.

Quite a neat setup that encourages three queues to form.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 6.01pm
I'm a very patient person, and happy to sit back and go with the flow. MrsR on the other hand isn't and the difference is obvious when waiting for buses. I'll stand away from the kerb (so that I don't get hit by traffic), I'll stand out of the way of pedestrians walking, I'll let other people get on the bus first (on the OKR, the 78 is another story, see below). MrsR stands right at the bus stop, right at the kerb, always ready to run to the place where the door will open (probably because in rush hour, if you're not first on the bus, you might not get on the bus, and then maybe wait 30 mins because each bus will be full and the same problem)

the 78 is different - most people do queue (at the stop on Dunton road by the shops), and it annoys me when people who haven't joined the queue get on in front of me - usually not a problem, but very annoying if I've waited 20 mins, and then can't get on, and have to wait some more! Grrr.

during the school rush, the bus is usually full of girls from St Alwyns, and doesn't stop outside the Calledonian (?)(opposite the bookies on Dunton Rd), so I have to walk up to the next stop, where it almost empties of school kids who have only got on it for three stops from OKR - WHY CAN'T THEY WALK! it's not very far!

Queueing (the only english word with 5 consecutive vowels) is great, and works, when there is only one bus route servicing each stop. As soon as you get three or more routes, queueing breaks down, and doesn't work. Two routes just about works (routes 1 and 78 on Grange Rd for instance)
Wednesday 29 October 2008 7.29pm
If the destination of the bus changes while you are on it, you can ask the driver for a transfer ticket, give it to next driver and you don`t have to pay again.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 7.45pm
Yes, JonR, I notice more and more children get on various buses for short journeys. Sometimes it's for only 1 stop! Often they will have waited for far longer than the time it would have taken them to walk.

Many of these children are large.....:P
Wednesday 29 October 2008 8.31pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
Yes, JonR, I notice more and more children get on various buses for short journeys. Sometimes it's for only 1 stop! Often they will have waited for far longer than the time it would have taken them to walk.
Many of these children are large.....:P

LOL.... Didn't dare saying it myself, by fear of being told off by the PC brigade... But yes, sometimes I want to tell these "large" kids they should walk a bit rather than taking the bus for 3 stops.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 10.58pm
The buses is one thing - a bigger problem is people piling on the exit door when the bus is full.

But the tube!

I make an effort to stand to the side of the opening door at peak hours so people can get off. Inevitably this means that some gallumphing fat fool comes and stands in front of the doors, between me and them, and then squeezes themselves onto the tube, obstructing anyone who may be trying to get off, causing me to be incapable of getting on, and making me late for work. Politeness costs, in this town.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 11.16pm
....and even the gallumping thin fools!

I find throwing a Julie Walters line at these morons works for me - as GBH costs, too.

Perhaps I should get out less :P
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions