London SE1 community website

Boarding buses

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 31 October 2008 10.42am
Good for you Jackie - unfortunately it probably won't have had any effect whatsoever.
Friday 31 October 2008 12.13pm
I was seating on the tube the other day and had picked up my shopping to get off when two girls in their 20s were so busy arguing who was going to have my seat that they neglected to get out of my way so i could stand up to get off.

JimG wrote:
With regard to the 'good old days' when I was at school in south london in the 80s when a bus came we would all pile on and older people would shout at us for pushing and we would occasionaly be told off at the school assemblies. We would also wind the bus driver up by ringing the bell repeatedly and he would often stop the bus and throw everyone off..

How refreshing to hear an adult ommiting on the forum that they were not perfect when they were kids either:)
Wednesday 5 November 2008 10.20am
Jackie,
Your postings give me heart that I am not the only grumpy old bag in the area! I was obviously born at the wrong time - I spent all of my childhood being made to stand on buses so that adults (not necessarily old people) could have a seat. Every Sunday we went on a five mile bus journey to visit my granny and we kids were never allowed to sit if adults were standing.

Now I am in my fifties I have to stand on buses so that overindulged fat kids can have a seat. I am appalled when I see parents standing whilst giving their kids a seat. And whatever happened to seating the little ones on your lap?

In addition, I get on the 211 at Westminster Bridge at about 0540 in the morning. It has only come from Waterloo Station so it is almost totally empty. Despite that, there is always a stampede to get on. WHY, for God's sake? Oh I do feel soooo... much better now that I have had a good rant.
Wednesday 5 November 2008 12.08pm
In the innocent old days, as a mum with small children if all seats were taken, someone would beckon the child with a ' come and sit on me lap sweetheart' and you would not think any thing of it..

Nowadays, people would probably think..pervert! it's all so sad..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions