Boarding buses

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 30 October 2008 1.06am
I rely on buses, as I don't drive and can't afford taxis, but the nightmare of getting in and off buses is getting worse. I got shoved out of the way tonight, by some suit with a backpack, he nearly knocked my walking stick out of my hand in his hurry to get on before me.
The no.1 bus seems to be getting more infrequent and more crowded. I hate having to ask someone for their seat, but usually end up having to ask, and getting the evil eye for doing so. Must be worse for people who don't have a visible disability.
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.16am
beingjdc wrote:
I make an effort to stand to the side of the opening door at peak hours so people can get off. Inevitably this means that some gallumphing fat fool comes and stands in front of the doors, between me and them, and then squeezes themselves onto the tube, obstructing anyone who may be trying to get off, causing me to be incapable of getting on, and making me late for work.

Oh, yes! What is wrong with these people?? They can clearly see that others are already waiting on the side. I'd understand it if the idiots were tourists, but most of the ones I've seen clearly aren't. On my last underground trip from London Bridge, I was standing at the side of the door as people were getting off, when a professionally dressed man in his 20s pushed between me and the side of the carriage, and quickly grabbed the only seat before anyone else could get on. You're such a gentleman, sir. Your mother would be so proud.

And of course he got off two stops later.
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.17am
I never take the tube normally but last night, as I was waiting for the Jubilee line at Canary Wharf, I was amazed to see a line of people forming at each door entrance. A guy who was obviously standing at the side of the queue was severely reprimanded and pushed back for trying to jump the queue when the doors opened. I had never seen that before, I guess on the Jubilee line, you know exactly where the doors open so it's easier to have an ordered queue.
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.17am
Auntie Pat, I missed your post--I can't BELIEVE that people wouldn't just get up to give you a seat when you have a walking stick. God.
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.30am
Connie - I believe on the newer stations on the jubilee line, the track on the platform is behind glass, so there are two sets of doors, one on the train, and one on the platform. This makes it very easy to from queues at the right place (and of course stops people being pushed onto the tracks)
Thursday 30 October 2008 11.55am
They used to have these nice yellow lines at Canary wharf which showed the platform passengers to avoid, so alighting passengers could get off easily, then for unknown reasons they removed them!
Thursday 30 October 2008 2.44pm
The yellow lines were a trial - there were different versions at each station to see which worked best.
Thursday 30 October 2008 4.01pm
...and several times at different stations, I saw both individuals and groups standing slap bang in the centre of the 'yellow box', without a care in the world.

Whiskers!
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.26pm
The water main replacement on London Road is certainly playing havoc with most of the routes that pass down there. The 148 (my route to work in Victoria) used to be quite reliable, if overcrowded, but lately there have been so many buses turning short or just not turning up at all. People are still relatively polite and civilised in getting on and off, though.
Friday 31 October 2008 8.17am
Welcome to the world, Laphroaig, no one cares if you are lugging a suitcase or have a stick. Particularly the kids. I shouted at a fat schoolboy sitting in one of the front seats, gobbling a candy bar, while several little old ladies stood. When another little old lady (me) got up to give an even older one a seat he continues to sit there stuffing. So I said loudly to him, "How dare you sit stuffing yourself while old people stand, shame upon you!", so he said " I didnt see" !!!! So I said, "Oh, you're blind as well as rude - you're a disgrace!" But did he move? No no!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network