London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 182
Friday 10 October 2008 11.45am
Middle square gate late 1960s from Richard Wale

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 October 2008 12.15pm
Hello Jerry
i also lived in collinson st,in 1st block coming from southwark bridge rd,number 76 then moved down 1 floor to 73,not sure why it was exactly the same 2 rooms (sitting room/kitchen and bedroom)do remember Murphys and Kavanaghs,we moved out in 1970 i was 15 then,had been living in the buildings from birth 1955,
I cant remember your surname but our balcony backed onto balcony's in scovell rd and can still hear Jerry Foley's mum calling him in,she had such a deep loud voice.How far down collinson st was 32,i was great friends with a family who had 5 girls surname Fahy and they lived up that end, hope you carry on writing on the page
Saturday 11 October 2008 12.19pm
Great picture of middle square,wonder who's car it is
was'nt many could afford one,
Saturday 11 October 2008 2.38pm
Looks like old bill to me:)
Saturday 11 October 2008 8.00pm
Thanks for the reply Sharon, 32 was the 1st entrance passed the middle square we lived on the 2nd floor, do you remember a fire there & a baby died in it & the mother had to throw her other 2 children to safety onto a thing held by the fire brigade before jumping herself, we lived under her & the ceiling caved in fron the water & we were rehoused to scovell rd till they repaired it.We had the same as you 2 rooms a toilet on the balcony & the tin bath which was used once a week weather we were dirty or not. That foghorn shouting out for jerry wasnt foley but horgan he was the same age as me, we went to the same primary school st josephs in the borough.
Saturday 11 October 2008 8.12pm
That picture of the middle square made me shiver,i reckon that car must have been a police car as i also cant think of anyone owning a car.I read on a previous page about tony sandford ,i also remember his younger brother Gary he was disabled ,if i remember they lived in the middle square im sure as you look at the picture they lived at the far right corner.Do you remember when the Xray lorry parked outside the middle square & the tv cameras from world in action were there they asked some of us to play in the square and filmed us.
Saturday 11 October 2008 8.21pm
yes tony sandford had brother gary and sister sharon tony and gary are dissabled there dad was dan the caretaker he done the basement up like a pub bar and yes it was bottom right ,,i remember the tv crew ,not sure about the car
Jac
Monday 13 October 2008 10.54am
I was hosting a dinner party for a few friends saturday- as one does in gentrified Bermondsey:) when I mentioned a couple of things from this thread, so imagine my surprise when my friend said. I remember Sandra Goggin. Aparently Sandra you married a man called Eddie and had 3 children, 2 girls and 1 boy and lived in a block of flats in Webber Row. Is my friends memory correct? surely there cant be 2 Sandra Goggins from SE1! I ve lived in Se1 for a mear 20 or so years but my friend has lived here most of her life. Her name is Sarah and I think here maiden name was Read. Do you rember her?
Monday 13 October 2008 12.52pm
Jac
yes thats me (4 children and husband Eddie)i do remember Sarah 2 of my girls went to notre dame school with her girls,Aquize and Lentla,not sure of the spelling,Aquize was always in our place she came on holiday with us to Isle of Wight,and said she would always remeber me when she got famous,please say hello for me regards Sandra
Monday 13 October 2008 1.02pm
Jerry
well how funny you saying about the mobile X-Ray,my aunt Kit Powell who lived in f block just inside gate to left was filmed coming out after the X-Ray it was the most exciting thing when she said what a good idea it was to the word in action people, yes do remember the fire you spoke of,it was very sad,also brought to mind a baby who fell from a balcony in queens buildings south side,twins were in a pram on the balcony and one stood up and fell over the railings,i also went to St Josephs for a while,do you remember Terry who went blind with measles he lived over lant st
Current: 11 of 182

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions