London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 183 of 183
Wednesday 29 April 2020 6.27pm
Hi Martin my Nan lived in that square we used play football and cricket against the garage and my dads sister Joan lived above my Nan in the same block . I used play football with Gary and terry Easter david Moore booey Stephen green George tocalos but to name a few . Hi lea left queens when they pulled them down moved to the Aylesbury estate s e 17 . Then 1974 we moved to Ashford. I got married 1980 and moved to north London , now broxbourne herts . Stay safe all 🙏🌈
Wednesday 29 April 2020 6.43pm
Martin just remembered nutty ray do you remember him who loved in the right side of that garage in the corner of the square every one was scared of him !
Sunday 17 May 2020 2.04pm
Hi Mark, I moved out early 1961 so was before your time.. I lost both my parents so only have vague memories of when I was 3 - 4 and have no one to ask, my brother is 2 years younger than me,and his memory is less than mine. Will keep an eye on this site from now o.
Everyone keep safe wherever you are and best wishes.

Martin
Sunday 24 May 2020 3.49pm
Hi Martin yeah keep on there thought other people would on here on lock down it is interesting when people put up post s 👍
Thursday 11 June 2020 12.34am
Hello Mark,

I remember Gary Easter, Brian McRea, George Toklas & his sister Doola, Joey Mahoney, Charlie Ford, John Keenan, Junior Murphy, Tony & Bobby Flynn.

I also remember 'nutty Ray' (Raymond Thompson) He would fight with anyone in an instant, but he was fine with me and Peter Groom.

Is Ruth your sister ?

Take care all.

Michael

Michael D
Saturday 27 June 2020 3.59pm
Hello all, thank you for letting me join your forum. Some of my family were born/lived in Queen's Buildings many years ago and I'd be most grateful to know if anyone has any information on any of them.
My Great Grandfather was Isaac (Ike) Dawson who lived with his wife Frances (Fanny) at 94F. Their children were Ellen (Nelly) born 27.5.1897) who was my Grandmother and Rose, Dick and Jack.

My Grandmother married my Grandfather, Alfred Jones, who lived at 88F Queen's Buildings. They had 2 children, Alfred born 1919 (my Dad) and Phoebe born 1921. Sadly my Grandfather died when my Dad was only 4 years old. I'm not sure how long my Grandmother and the children lived in Queen's Buildings but I remember my Dad saying he went to Charles Dickens school. However at some point before World War 2 my widowed Grandmother and her two children moved to Trafalgar Street in Walworth. I believe there may have been other family members who also lived in Queen's Buildings. One was Phoebe Ward, who I think was my Grandmother's cousin and may have lived at 86F with her mother. I saw someone mentioned her in a previous message.

I would be very grateful for any information and I thank you in advance.
Wednesday 1 July 2020 12.52pm
Hi Micheal yes Ruth s my older sister , she s in biggin hill now George tic tok as we called him lives in Enfield . Gary and terry s sister Kim still keeps in touch with my sister !
Current: 183 of 183

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions