London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 182
Tuesday 8 January 2008 6.17pm
most of the tennants of Queens buildings were rehoused on the then new built Aylesbury estate,we lived in collinson st the block that joined onto what we called the new flats (lefroy house)they are still there, when we were moved out it as years later the estate that is on the site of Queens buildings now was built and not many people got the chance to go back,i would like to hear from anyone who lived in the old place i was born 1955 and lived until demolition in 1970 in 1 bedroom flat outside toilet no hot water,my mum worked in the local launderette in gt suffolk st (Mary)
Sunday 13 January 2008 8.31pm
I would really like to know more about the history of these buildings and who built them. I have recently read a book about the Rothschild Buildings in the East End and this had re-kindled my interest. My grandparents lived at flat 31 Queens Bulidings, from around 1918 until 1962(approx) when my Grandmother died. They moved there from Edmonton when my Grandfather was looking for work at the docks during the post-war depression. At one point they also rented the flat above, their surname was Archer and they had 4 children. I clearly remember coming to 'the buildings' many times to visit my grandparents with my father.
Monday 14 January 2008 9.13am
In Answer to Gill's comments,you said flat 31 queens buildings,there were lots of 31's 1f you lived in one of the squares the block's had a letter for example 31A i had an uncle and aunt in 35C block,but if you lived on one of the outside block's it would have been 31 collinson st, or 31 scovell rd, or 31 stones end st,perhaps this will jog your memory
Monday 14 January 2008 6.51pm
Thanks Sandra, It was 31, Scovell Road. Do you know which organisation built Queen's Buildings? I'd like to know if it was a charitable institution like the Peabody Trust, the local council or a private developer. Also,do you know when they were built?
Thanks.
Monday 14 January 2008 9.26pm
I have found when they were built...

"It [the King's Bench Prison] remained a transit or military prison until 1880 when it was demolished and replaced with flats. These in turn were taken down for the present Scovell Housing Estate."
From http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkcrimesadd.htm.
Tuesday 15 January 2008 8.08am
Dear Gill
the buildings were not a charitable trust,as far as i can remember the landlords were a company called Keith cardall & groves (thats who the rent was paid to)they were taken over with a compulsary purchase order by the council in the late 60's thats when the tennants began to be rehoused so the buildings could be demolished as the buildings were said to be unfit for humane habitation
Tuesday 26 February 2008 9.44am
Fred Start has sent in this graphic to illustrate the layout of Queen's Buildings:

(click on the image to see a larger version)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 12 April 2008 8.16am
I am looking for any information about a resident of 49 D Block, Queens Buildings, Collinson Street. He was R Carrigan (believed to be Richard) and was resident there in November 1929 when he would have been aged around 64. If anyone has any information, recollections, etc., or can suggest where further information may be found pleas drop a message to this forum.
Thanks.
Stephen
Saturday 12 April 2008 8.52am
Apologies - I believe I had Richard's age incorrect. He may have been aroud 52 when resident there in 1929. Rumour has it that he had 15 children so I imagine most, if not all would have flown the nest by 1929 as I suppose there would not have been that much room to house them all.
Stephen
Monday 14 April 2008 9.31am
Dear Stephen
I know who lived in 49D block in the sixties,because it was an uncle and aunt of mine (A BROTHER AND SISTER)i dont recognise the name Richard Carrigan but that was before my time in queens buildings,but i can tell you that 49D block was a 2 bedroom flat with a kitchen/living room,the 2 bedrooms faced out to collinson st,and the living room faced out to a courtyard,there was only that 1 block (D) in that courtyard, the rest of that courtyard was the backs of flats,49D was on the ground floor but up one flight of stairs so upper groung really it shared a toilet on that floor with 2 other flats,the John Harvard reference library in Borough high st has old
census records. kind regards Sandra
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 182

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions