London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 183
Monday 14 April 2008 9.51pm
sandra goggin wrote:
Dear Gill
the buildings were not a charitable trust,as far as i can remember the landlords were a company called Keith cardall & groves (thats who the rent was paid to)they were taken over with a compulsary purchase order by the council in the late 60's thats when the tennants began to be rehoused so the buildings could be demolished as the buildings were said to be unfit for humane habitation

Keith Cardale & Groves were still operating as an independent firm of surveyors and estate agents until fairly recently, although I wasn't aware of an SE1 branch. IIRC they were bought by Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward (KFH). I've no idea whether any archives of their old property management division have been deposited anywhere.
Thursday 15 May 2008 9.40am
Hello Debbs,my name is Richard Murphy son of Gladys and Richard .Lived in 170 next to the new flats in Southwark Bridge Road then 194 Scovell Road again next to the smaller new flats,then moved to Greenwich for three years but soon came back to the manor.My age is 55yrs,hpoe to here from you.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 1.11pm
If you can access Freiendsreunited, input Richard Wale. ((choose the 5th name down the page) He has some pictures of the area you may like, esp Queens building, Scovell Rd etc
Tuesday 17 June 2008 5.48pm
Dear Richard
cant remember the name,any other info what school did you go to i lived in collinson st no 1st number 76 then 73,do you have any brothers or sisters,or can you remember any friends names,i was in the buildings till demolision in 1971 age now 53
Tuesday 1 July 2008 5.45pm
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum (just joined today).
I am also very interested in Queens Buildings.
My nan was born in 21 Queens Buildings, Montague st in 1912.
Also had relatives at 260 Queens Buildings, Scovell Rd.
Does anyone remember the surname Braby by any chance?
Thanks.
Monday 7 July 2008 10.31pm
I have memories of Queens Buildings having lived there in the mid to late sixties with my mother, father, sister and brother. I also went to Charles Dickens School for just over a year. I was 6 when we were relocated to Glazebrook Close in West Dulwich in 1970. My Grandmother also lived in Queens Buildings in a seperate dwelling a few blocks away. I can remember visiting her on several occasions and being told off for dissapearing without telling anyone!

My mothers name was Ann Wharton and my grandmothers was Edith Brown.

Having just stumbled across this site I can't remember what number we lived at, I know the address was Collinson Street, I do have some letters that I have kept with the full address on them, when I find them I will post another message.

I can still remember the place vividly and remember looking out through the railings down into the square and watching the other kids play.
Thursday 17 July 2008 10.49pm
I see that Fred Start appears on these postings . Well . how about Annie & Bill Start who lived in F Block . My uncle is Stan Hulls who lived on top floor F Block and is only remaining member of original Hulls family . I am son of Florrie Hulls and remember the Starts , Blackburns , Collins and Armstrongs of F Block . I went to Charlie Dicks in late '40s early '50s as did my mum . uncles & aunts in ealier times .
All the best
Tony Taylor ( Massen)
Friday 18 July 2008 10.21am
Dear Tony
nice to see your message,i had an aunt and uncle Billy and Kitty Powell in 86 F block,in the middle square I live in collinson st myself and went to charlie dicks in around 1960,the middle square was everyone's favorite it's where all the familys you mentioned lived,Dolly Blackburn and all her Girls,Nora and Danny the coleman,
kepp well best wishes Sandra
Thursday 14 August 2008 3.49pm
Dear Stephen Kirkman,

The main reason I came on to this site, I was hoping that maybe, there were going to be photographs of Queens Buildings. I was quite surprised to see you were interested in Richard Carrigan.

Richard and Elizabeth Carrigan were my grandparents, they first moved into 126, H Block in 1914. Then in 1918 they moved to 50, D Block, from 1921 to 1940s they lived at 46/49, D Block. The family numbered twelve, six boys and six girls, one boy, Dennis Maurice died at the age of two.
In 1929 Richard would have been about 49 years old.

My family lived at 111, Scovell Road, from 1934 to 1940. Although the landmine did not destroy the block, it was deemed unsafe. We moved onto the Rockingham Estate.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Best regards
John H Eels
Thursday 14 August 2008 7.25pm
It's funny both of the blocks you mentioned i had family,but much later on in the 60's until the flats were pulled down. I had an aunt and uncle surname kellerher lived right at the top of H block number 135
and an aunt and uncle(brother and sister) surname Carroll who lived at 49D block,
nice to hear from others who lived in the buildings
best wishes Sandra
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 183

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions