London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 182
Friday 15 August 2008 5.11pm
My name is Bob Peters (Robert), I lived at 98 Queens Buildinge from 1951 to 1961. Our flat was on the second floor directly over the arch that led through the buildings into the squares and into Collinson Street. Most of my grandparents also lived there, Lawrence @ 235, Benardout,Lush. anyone remember these names?. The Lawrece part originally lived where Lee House is now, the were bombed out in 1940. The storey goes that my Grandfather had died and was laid out as it were, in the parlour, there was then an air raid which took out the end block at Southwark Bridge Road,
anyway my GFs body was left there untill his funeral.
The Lush side of the family lived at 1 Lee House.
Hope someone remembers me.

Bob Peters
Friday 15 August 2008 7.17pm
Hi John,
Good to hear from you. Can we make contact offlist?

Stephen
Friday 15 August 2008 7.33pm
The name Lush is very familier to me,i lived in the 1st block in collinson st number 73 (next to what we called the new flats)Lee house and Lefroy house,what age were you when you lived in the buildings,did you go to school local? i had lots of cousins Bill,John &Peter powell, Derry Kellerher do any ring any bells with you
hope so,best wishes Sandra
Friday 15 August 2008 11.56pm
Hi Sandra,
I lived in Queens buldings from birth 1951, till 1961/2. My Nan lived at No 1 Lee House, My Nans name was Francis known as Fran Lush, her 2nd husband was Tony Lush a country man from sussex ( possible real name JACK) their son from that marriage was Jack/ Jackie lush, my nans first married name was Benardout, she had two children John & my mother Pearl, who married Robert (Bob) Peters they originally lived in Stones End Street then at 98 Scovell Road, My GGm lived opposite at 235? Her name was Lawrence (Amelia) her husband who passed away in 1940 was Frank, their children were Frank who lived in Lake House, Beatrice who lived in the block next to Lee House, her husband was (Dinky)? Neal, no idea what dinky was short for. I went to Charles Dickens from 1956 till 1961/2, then to Henry Fawcet when we moved out of Queens Buildings then onto West Square which became Beaufoy off Lambeth Walk.

Iv,e looked at all the messages on this link and can remember some of the surnames and some not mentioned, Mason, Flynn, O Hagon, East, Babbage, Thompson, (Jimmy & Billy), who was Twinney? & Sissy names often heard?
There was also a person we called the Professor who lived in QBs behind Lake House who would dish out biscuits (who was he). Looking at the sketches of QBs from Southwark Br Rd, the barbers pole tells me that this was Majotters Barber shop, just up from this was Jenners Brewery then on the next corner was Jacks sweet shop on Sw Br Rd, where my nan would send me for her boiled sweets & fags (Players Weights) 5.

Unfortunately I cant remeber who lived at what number
if it was still there I could take you. I can always remeber the rooftops, going onto unexplored land and looking over the whole street, then some irate person tellig me/us to bugger off. Do you also recall the Cafe which was called Johns?, this was basicly a local/ Transort cafe, he had a good supply of lorry drivers from Upper Thames St + locals, strange thing was that the plumbing was partly made up of a set of bycicle handlebars, I kid you not they were a set of drop handlebars, which had a tap on the end, which ammused me no end.
If you have any memories of any of the things I have mentioned please reply.

Bob Peters.
Saturday 16 August 2008 5.11pm
Hi to John (Eels),

There is an 1891 census for 22 Artizan Buildings, Gun Street, Southwark which includes:
John Carrigan aged 39 (1852) a bricklayer's labourer and his wife, Mary aged 40 (1851) and the following children:
Michael 16 (1875), Richard 14 (1877), Mary 12 (1879), Maria 7 (1884), Daisy 5 (1886), John 3 (1888), and Ellen 1 (1880).

The Richard born 1877 is I believe "our" Richard.

I've not found them in the 1901 census yet as I think the spelling of the surname may have been transcribed incorrectly so I need to do an extensive search.

I found register entries for a Dennis M Carrigan as born Southwark 1921 and died 1923.

Do you have any further information you'd liketo share?

Regards

Stephen
Sunday 17 August 2008 7.40pm
Dear Bob
funny as soon as someone mentions a name,it all comes back,I remember the name Flynn very well (Eileen) moved to the Aylesbury est and when i started work in united friendly ins (SOUTHWARK BRIDGE RD)a friend of mine married one of her sons Bobby,some of the other boys that may have been around your age Alan Flack,Tony Mccoy,John&Bill Powell.I do remmber the cafe but not the plumbing,do you remember Lamberts sweet shop next to winchester pub,and peters corner shop (collinson st) my dad used to send me in for a single razor blade,cant imageing that now,also Gibbons shop at end of scovell rd and the bagwash next door,the rent office was across the road.Was mrs Prickett the headmistress when you went to charles dickens? we used to play on the garage roof of colinson court and the caretaker spent hours chaseing us down we named it o'Rielly's roof,also spent lots of time playing on bomb site stones end st,and over the grotto at a pub that had been bombed during the war.What about jail park,lots of happy memories.
I will shut up now.kind regards Sandra
Sunday 17 August 2008 11.55pm
Hi Sandra, Yes all that you mention I remeber well, Mz Prickett was the head when I was there,she liked her country dancing so much that lessons were suspended for it, the sweet shop next to the Winchester sold a drink called Fling & Jublies ( Remember those ). Bobby Flynn I went to School with he was about the same age as me and in the same class at Charles Dickens. The Bagwash shop I can remember well, as do I remember the Hairdressers next door thats where I had to push my GM almost every week (In her wheelchair). Yes I remember Alan Flack I went to school with him at C,Dicks & west Square/ Beaufoy also remember the Powells. You mention the grotto, we called it the Jam Roll for some reason if its the same place, it was where the Police forensic unit is now next to the Ship pub in Stones End Street,The pub wasnt actually bombed, it fell into disrepair in the early 50s, its now open as the Ship,somewhere there is a photo of my GM, outside this pub in 1950. Jail Park was one of those hazy thing for me, yes I was there but I didnt like the place (no idea why) maybe the sand that was thrown in my eyes. Queens Buildings hold lots of memories, that winter of 60/61 snow 3ft deep. Do you remember The EAST family?, the dad drove a Coal Lorry which was parked in Scovell Road, My Old mate was John East, his dad was also a John he had several daughters & moved to Nth Clapham in 66ish

I Dont know how many people look on this site, but how about getting all those that are interested in having a meetup in the Ship Stones End St, I will organise the meeting room above the pub if you like.

Sandra What was your Surname when you lived at QB/ Maiden name.

All the Best,

Bob Peters.
Monday 18 August 2008 10.32am
Hello there Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm having trouble with my Broadband connection. I'm hoping this e-mail will be sent direct to you.

I was told that my grandfathers brother Daniel married Annie Marnie, he also had a brother John and a sister Mary.

It would be nice to know where you fit into things, my mothers name was Elizabeth Carrigan the second eldest daughter of Richard and Elizabeth.

Best regards.
John
Monday 18 August 2008 10.49am
Hi John,

You can email me direct at [email protected] I am currently researching various of the Carrigan names to see which fit into my family history. If you contact me off list I can share with you what I have found so far and maybe you can help fill in some of the gaps of help discount some of the trails. regards
Stephen
Monday 18 August 2008 8.38pm
Hello Bob
the bomb site at stones end st was the (JAM ROLL)wish i knew why,but the grotto was a playground over by gt suffolk st/webber st behind clarke and eaton glass factory,and the bombed out pub was the moonraker,would be interested in meeting up,John & Bill Powell are my cousins, their younger brother is Peter and sister is Carol,and went to live back at lefroy house for a while,and when you spoke about the country dancing at school i had a laugh. The coleman i remember was Danny Sandford his wife was Nora they lived at the bottom of H block in the middle sq,dont remember family East but knew the Easter family,there was a girl called Kim,i cant remember her mum and dads first name,and do you remember jack's sweet shop selling a chocolate drink called micky?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 182

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions