London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 183
Friday 22 August 2008 12.41am
Hi Sandra,
Yes I remember MICKY drink at Jacks, you could also get it from the UD milkman, the coal man I am talking about worked for Charringtons and lived at Borough Rd end of Scovell Rd, speaking of UD milkmen I can remember the HORSE drawn milk float in Scovell Rd, Beat that..

Bob Peters.
Friday 22 August 2008 11.48am
HELLO Bob
cant recall horse drawn milkman,but can remember the breadman(Tom) that used a pull along contraption a bit like a milk float,also what about the off licence in scovell rd (Mr Brett)had 2 big alsation dogs that i was terrified of.I forgot to say my maiden name was Feehan mum was Mary and worked in various jobs local,the egg factory,in lant st,the vo5 factory in newington causeway,but worked for many years in the launderette and dry cleaners in Gt Suffolk st my dad was Denis.I spoke to my cousin Peter Powell and he reminded me of a few others that may be in your age group,kevin & maureen Sheilds,Alan flack (is on friends reunited).have a good bank holiday weekend
kind regards Sandra
ps/where do you live now,we have just moved to kent (borough green)
Friday 29 August 2008 9.59pm
hi im bob flynn i lived at 50 scovell road from 1952 to 1970 i remeber john east he was at a reunion we had about 10 years ago miss prichard was head at charles dickens i remember her well ,my dad almost lived in The Ship pub , i have 3 brothers billy tony and roy ,i used to play in the grotto and the moonraker till tony hurt had a seaonce in there frightened the **** out of us ,great times like to hear more
Friday 29 August 2008 10.06pm
richard how are you ? i am bob flynn and doing ok ,i hope you are well and maybe we can chat sometime
Saturday 30 August 2008 1.38pm
Bob hello its sandra,i thought the headmistress was miss prickett,and also remembered the seance not sure if it was the same one,but swore never to go back to the moonraker,the other thing about the moonraker was i think that was where everyone went to smoke,my cousin Carol Powell and her mate Marie O'Donnel were a bit older than me but tried to make me start smoking so i could'nt grass on them,can you or anyone remember why we called the bomb site by The Ship pub the jam roll!
and something else has made me laugh lately rembering
some of the old names is that most people had a title
Jim The window cleaner,Danny The coleman,Tom The baker
O,Rielly the caretaker over at collinson court,
Sandra
Saturday 30 August 2008 8.57pm
hi saundra i dont know why we called that the jam roll ,we just did , i had something funny a few years back ,my first visit to thailand i was in a pub eating breakfast called the pig and whistle and in walked tony sandford who i have not seen for years ,he was living there but is back now ,
Sunday 31 August 2008 12.02am
Hi Bob,
Bet you dont remember me, or maybe you do, I was a mate of John East, Billy Thompson and many others. I Lived above the arch next to the off Licence @ 98, we were in the same class at Charles Dickens and I think you came to West Square & Beaufoy, am I right ?. We moved out of QBs in 1961/2 to The Oval Kennington when I went to Henry Fawcett for about 8/10 months, they were way ahead of C Dicks they had books and everything. If I remember rightly you lived in the same block as my Uncle, John Benardout, his wife Jossie, and Kids Edwina, John, and Billy. No doubt you have read all the threads above, maybe you would ALL like to meet up one evening. will put up my life story asap.

BOB PETERS. (ROBERT)
Sunday 31 August 2008 2.19pm
my dad had family who lived in queens buildings, and is the noble family you refer to is that tommy noble,if so they moved to london road se1 i think it was flaxman house,and moved again in the late seventies hope this helps, but you can always try the socail stidies libiary in the borough road they would have a list of everyone who lived there.
Thursday 4 September 2008 10.24am
Hi Everyone I lived in QUEENS BUILDINGS from 1937 untill the 1950s
Our flat was 25 Scovell Road. Our bedroom window looked out at
Scovell Road faceing the South Side of the buildings We could also see
Lllywhite Frowde's and Charles Letts in the Borough Road That window was our mirror on the world in those far off days. The ruin at Stones End Street described as JAM ROLL we knew as the OIL DUMP.The buildings were owned by the MODEL DWELLINGS COMPANY at that time
and you paid your rent in Scovell Road at the office run by Miss Hart and Miss Mcdonald . We had a caretaker Johnny Wooley who used to sweep the squares on a regular basis. I could go on forever about the
BUILDINGS.
Thursday 4 September 2008 1.34pm
Hi Gill I Iived at 25 Scovell Road from the late 30s to the 50s I can remember Mrs Archer up the block also i believe her son Mr Archer
and his wife with their son Freddie lived at No 27
A few of us lads often played cricket in the square with Mr Archer
Although Queens Buildings was a grim Victorian tenement i had some wonderful friends there several of whom i still contact after 70 years
regards Rich
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 183

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions