London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 184
Thursday 4 September 2008 4.40pm
Evening All,
Does anyone remember what the "Jam Roll" or "Oil Dump" was originally?. I remember it went down a fair way from street level, but what was it?

Best regards

Bob Peters.
Thursday 4 September 2008 5.00pm
Hi Bob When we were nippers many moons ago we all played on the Oil Dump . As i recall there was lots of empty oildrums there.Ive no idea
whatever the original site was..There was also the disused original
Stones End Police Station almost opposite Happy Days Regards Rich
Sunday 21 September 2008 11.22pm
HI All,
Can anyone recall QUINNS BUILDINGS IN WATERLOO??
where was it? My grandmother lived there but for the life of me I cant find them.

Bob Peters.
Monday 22 September 2008 6.30am
HI ALL I REMEMBER QUINNS BUILDINGS , THEY WERE IN THE WATERLOO ROAD, THEY WERE A TENAMENT DWELLING NOT UNLIKE
QUEENS BUILDINGS ONLY NOT SO LARGE, I BELIEVE THEY WERE DEMOLISED IN THE EARLY 60s, THE LONDON AMBULANCE BUILDING
NOW OCCUPIES THEIR FORMER SIGHT. CHEERS RICH
Monday 22 September 2008 10.00am
Hello all
yes i remember quinns buildings in waterloo,they were
very much the same as queens buildings,but we were more upper class being QUEENS buildings (ha ha)
also remember Winchester buildings above shops and winchester pub southwark bridge rd,and the old buildings where mint st playground is now we called them fire brigade buildings (not sure if that was real name)they were very close to the old Evalina childrens hospital
Monday 22 September 2008 11.21am
Sandra,
The Building you are thinking about was the London Salvage Corps, they did look like fire engines and firemen, but they salvaged and protected at large fires.

Bob Peters.
Monday 22 September 2008 11.25am
Mint Street Park is also the site of the old St Saviour's Union workhouse
Monday 22 September 2008 5.31pm
Bob thanks for your reply,but i am thinking of flats that were oppersite the fire brigage headquarters on southwark bridge rd,they were in worse condition than Queens buildings and the more i think about it may have been called Brigade buildings,i went to Charles dickens with a girl who lived there,they were demolished long before Queens buildings.
Something else that has come to mind does anyone remember Duthy hall,it was one of the turnings off southwark bridge road,we used to go sometimes with the school to see a show,i think it was part of a church!
Tuesday 23 September 2008 7.26am
Hi Everybody Please keep the debate going on QUEENS BUILDINGS
I suppose that most people interested know about HARRY COLE who
was a policeman for many years. He used to write a column in the
SOUTH LONDON PRESS , He wrote several books with the plot based in
QB ,He was born in the buildings and was bombed out in 1940,
Sadly Harry passed away earier this year, He has a blue plaque on CHARLES DICKENS SCHOOL. Rich
Tuesday 23 September 2008 8.28am
Sandra I remember Duthy Hall was it down Duchy street?

The Old Evelina childrens hospital was where us children used to live permanently,cuts,stitches! I can remember the lovely disinfectant smell and the green conglomerate marble floor and the nurses looking pristine in their starched uniforms.. if you had something to be done that was unpleasant you would get ONE smartie. I had quinsy and was marched up there by Mum who demanded that the doctor give me the new wonder drug M & B tablets!

Years later I discovered that they were May and Baker penicillin! Because I moaned to the nurse about swallowing and demanded some medicine instead, she took me to a tiny pharmarcy window where they crushed the tablets in a pestle and mortar, mixed it with water and gave it to me to drink..
I have never tasted any thing so foul since! I soon discovered I could swallow..

when my children were growing up they always made me look a fool by recovering straight away when they saw the lovely old
rocking horse...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 184

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions