London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 182
Tuesday 23 September 2008 9.15am
Duthy Hall is in Great Guildford Street, parallel with Southwark Bridge Road, behind the Welsh Chapel, just opposite where the Evelina used to be,
Tuesday 23 September 2008 12.37pm
Sandra,
It was Brigade House if my memory serves me.

Bob Peters.
Tuesday 23 September 2008 2.17pm
Jan idid laugh when i read your memories of the evelina hospital,i remember the rocking horse well,and the smell you described so well,i also remember at certain times of the day there was a side door you could go straight to casualty,but at other times you went in the front and there was a man in uniform in a little cubby hole/office i used to think he was a soldier,one funny memory of the evelina was when in the late 60's one of my uncles and family were moving from Queens buildings to a new town in Sudbury suffolk,so me and my cousin Lorraine were sent around to the tea factory in marshallsea rd,to get a tea chest as we carried it back (it was heavy for 2 little girls) the metal band around the bottom cut her toe and it was bleeding,so on my advice we went into the hospital leaving the tea chest with the man at the door and went into the casualty to ask for a plaster the sister put a plaster on but gave my cousin a letter to take home,it was to tell her mum because the cut was caused by dirty metal she would need a tetnus injection,till this day i dont think she ever forgave me.Jan did you live in the buildings?
Wednesday 24 September 2008 6.47am
Oh Sandra I had forgotten about the man in the Cubby hole! and the side door, that's why I love this site! I remember my son falling off the paralell(?) bars in Charles Dickens school and the teacher carrying him to Evelina, when I got there he had broken his arm and because there were no lifts available I had to carry him up some stairs to have it set, nigh on killed me he was about nine or ten! As there was no Injury Lawyers 4 U it would never have occurred to sue the school..

I really fancied a boy who told me he lived in Queens Buildings, his name was Stanley McLaren, he had ginger hair and a pork pie hat, he was a snappy dresser and I remember the lovely suit he wore a mohair blue/green one.. I think he had more than one girlfriend because he would never tell me the exact number of the flat!

I lived in Strood House, off Long Lane.

Strange how when you mention to youngsters today about tea chests they get a glazed look on their faces..they think tea grows straight from the bush to the tea-bag! :-)
Wednesday 24 September 2008 12.58pm
Jan
i know strood house and long lane well,i went to Laxon secondary school was there when it joined with Aylwin grammer and monnow rd,all the mum's at Aylwin protested at the thought of their girls coming into contact with us, keep reading and writing on the site i think it's great
Wednesday 24 September 2008 5.44pm
Jan
i had to tell you i was sitting in doors this afternoon,and had a flash back to the Evelina hospital do you remember when you went into the casualty the 1st thing was to take your temp and i could almost taste that pink liquid they used to keep the thermometer in inside a little glass pot

also Jaybee thanks for info on duthy hall,i also remember there was a shop on the corner, on the way to the hall,we called it Tom's when the mums in Queens buildings got a coupon on a packet or in the door he would let them spend the couple of penny's on what they needed (not what was on the coupon) everyone said he was very kind
Wednesday 24 September 2008 6.25pm
Hello all
a question,can anyone recall the scheme that was run by the Mayor of Southwark that allowed us residents of the Borough a pass to go into Belair park Dulwich i remember we used to go to the town hall in the walworth rd to collect it!
and the summer holiday programme run by the Blackfriars settlement Nelson square,it took us kids to greenwich park every day for a few weeks,they had somekind of wooden building (A HUT)and could use all the equipment stilts, hoola hoops,balls or stay inside to do painting and other crafts and on the last day we were allowed to go in the boats,you had to take a packed lunch with you (jam sandwich)most was eaten on the way there,or going to Saturday morning pictures at the Elephant i remember seeing Millie singing my boy lollypop live on stage before the film one saturday,or going for a bath at manor place and having to shout out what number you was in if you wanted more hot or cold water,sometimes we went swimming instead,and kidded ourself it was the same as a bath (never told your mum)and getting a bowl of mash and liqure in pie mash shop London rd,on the way home what lovely shops used to be along London rd rose's the jewellers where you could get your ears pierced,and Toytown the toyshop,and the ice cream parlour,there was a cafe and i think it called the 66 cafe never knew why,sorry i am starting to ramble now
Thursday 25 September 2008 11.32am
Sandra, and they are such lovely memories.:-)
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.58pm
Hi Sandra, you must be just younger than me, I cant remember Millie singing at the Trocodera or the ABC, nor did I hear of it. Now Pie & Mash in London Road I do Remember, as I do the Ice Cream parlour next to Tull Undertakers, & of course Toytown in London Road.
On a Satarday I would be given 2bob 2 shillings 10p these days to go to Satarday pictures then on to Pie & Mash in London Road, which if remember correctly was 6d pictures, 1s 3d Pie&mash leaving 3d for an Ice Cream,, pure luxury in 1958/60. Do you remember the Fruit & Veg shop at the Borough Rd end of Scovell Rd?, you could get a bruised Pear for a Penny, which she would trim up, cutting out the bruised bits,(Damn Big Pears) we had a field day, I cant remember the name but her daughter was blind. Manor Place baths always scared me, the large pool was always cold (Ice Cold) but the small pool was warm, my cousin took me there about once a week, but she was a bit of a cow, she would be in the pool waiting for me to jump in and just by accident(purposly)forget to catch me, thus sending me to the depths to emerge choking with 5 gallons of water in my lungs,Happy days.

Bob Peters.
Monday 29 September 2008 1.51pm
Hi The greengrocer shop in Scovell Road next to the rent office was
named RUDDS if my memory serves me Best wishes to Everybody.
Rich, PS There are still a few of the old buildings tenants living in SCOVELL ESTATE
Current: 7 of 182

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions