London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 183
Monday 29 September 2008 3.05pm
Bob
you brought to mind a funny tale,saying how your cousin used to be horrible to you at manor place,
me and my cousin carol used to go to the public baths at manor place and not very often another cousin who never got the hang of calling out which number bath she was in to get more either hot or cold water, we always let her go in first and watch what number she was in and we would call out more cold in number (which ever one she was in) that was wicked,but very funny at the time
and yes do remember the greengrocer's in scovell rd (rudds) but we seemed to use the one in gt suffolk st more we called it snowy's,but also remember getting sent up borough rd opposite the library to a greengrocers that sold cyprus potatoes
Wednesday 1 October 2008 12.54pm
Hi Sandra,
My Nan lived next door to the grocers in Borough Rd, was it called Blacks or Blackwells?. Rudds is that the shop I mentioned earlier, that had the Blind daughter?. Snows in Gt Suffolk St, run by Snowy because of his huge mop of white hair. Anyone remember the shop next to Snows, that sold almost everything loose, Sugar, Biscuits,Flour Etc, and the Baker shop opposite, Spencers I think it was called,nice donuts and cakes, + crusty bread, then next door was a newsagents then the Co Op, and Co oP butchers, I spent ages there watching them make sausages and mincemeat, then just over the road was the newspaper stand run by an old fella with one leg, who used to ride a bike. Talking of London Road earlier, I drove along it yesterday, there hardly anything left exept at the Borough Rd end and non of them shops were there when I was a Kid.

Bob Peters.
Wednesday 1 October 2008 4.41pm
Hello Bob
yes remember them all,spencers bakers sold cream buns that were lovely,the newsagents was run by Mr Lock who owned the toyshop opersite,I worked in the toyshop on saturday's and wednesday evenings (if chelsea was at home so Mr Lock could go and watch them)i also worked Sunday mornings in his newsagents he also had a shop up borough high st on same side of the road as tube station,do you remember the oil shop that was also along gt suffolk st,we called it the oil shop because they sold parrafin,was a hardware shop really that sold everything,i bought my mum a bread knief from there one mothers day (not sure why)the old boy who sold the papers we called Hoppy he lived with his wife Gene in flats along marshalsea rd,he had an old boy who used to be at his stall sometimes,never knew his name or where he lived but always sat just inside the door of the winchester pub.Next door was the butchers and a ladies shop called Lorraines she had a horrible yappy dog who sat on the counter,my mum worked in the launderette along there so i knew most of the shop keepers,there was a hairdress'es called Farrells run by a very camp man who wore a black hairpiece,when my mum died 2002 i was surprised that the undertakers Alf Smith had moved across to where the co-op used to be,he used to be on the corner of Webber st,that was the last time i was down that way,and must admit was very sad that all the old shops were gone. Sandra
Thursday 2 October 2008 11.26am
Sandra, I remember the hairdressers, he told me that he only 'backcombed' with a brush because it gave better results, hours later we both went out with hair like the girl in 'Hairspray' a foot high.. he used so much hair lacquer our faces were frozen ( early botox!) my hair was fine and stringy even then. A week later It took a solid hour of my Mum trying to detangle it with a hairbrush calling me a ' silly cow' all the time.
Thursday 2 October 2008 7.47pm
Jan i can see him with the hair lacquer,it was in a squeezy bottle not a spray,my mum always used to say let me take me glasses off before you start spraying,the women would all be sitting under the hairdryers smoking cigarettes its a wonder the place did'nt blow up
Friday 3 October 2008 12.00pm
Sandra, the barber in long lane would refill your own lacquer bottle for one and threepence!
Friday 3 October 2008 2.20pm
Jan,spoke to my youngest daughter(27) this morning was telling her about the hairdressers,she burst out laughing when i spoke of lacquer,said she has'nt heard hairspray called that since my mum had died,
also told her what you had said about children not knowing about tea chest's,she said it sounded like an old person's illness( something you got for drinking to much tea)
Friday 3 October 2008 4.35pm
One advantage Sandra of the hair lacquer was a brick could drop on your head and it would bounce..! Do you remember the eyeliner in the style of Cleopatra or rather liz taylor presentation of her? took me ages to get it right..like the tail of a letter Y coming out from the outer corner of your eye with a line accross it..great unless you get a bit clever and fill it in with green powder eyeshadow and it rains..
Saturday 4 October 2008 9.17pm
Don't forget there are lots of things, apart from a tea chest, anyone under 35 wouldn't remember well. Apart from a proper recession, real money (tanners,shillings,half crowns) proper weights (funny how my son thinks in metric apart from when he mentions how tall he is), party lines (if you had a phone!!) my daughter calls vinyl records "old fasioned CDs" which in the download age are going out of favour themselves now. The thought of a public bath - mine were in Grange road, would send her speechless. The comments about evelina hospital made me wonder why it seemed so big when I was a kid but when you look at the park there now it seems such a small spot
Sunday 5 October 2008 12.04pm
Yes lots of things,they would not remember being hard up (properly)i dont mean not having a computer or latest fashion,but going to the shop to buy a 1/4 butter loose sugar and a single fag (Gibbons shop scovell rd)or buying something from the talley man i remember we used Mr Bromley he would bring most things you asked for my aunt bought a witney blanket from him once then took it straight to the pawn shop to get some money,but was paying back to the talley man for ages (credit crunch ha ha)and another thing i remember is we never had best before dates on any food we bought,but then again did'nt have a fridge so you just went to the shops everyday bought what you needed (or what you could afford)and of the subjet of no fridge i remember if my mum made a jelly she just cover'ed the bowl with a plate and put it out on the window ledge for the night,and how when one of my aunt's who lived in Queens buildings at the top of H block got a gas fridge we all climbed the stairs to go and see it
Current: 8 of 183

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions