London SE1 community website

Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 183
Sunday 5 October 2008 12.21pm
i just love reading about this the memories you have are so good please keep it up
Sunday 5 October 2008 12.23pm
anyone remember mr brett from the off licence and the big alsation dog he had there ?
Sunday 5 October 2008 2.56pm
Hi All When i lived in QB {1937-1960} the man that had the off licence near the Arch was Cyril Cross , His assistant was a lady named Bella,,The shop top of Scovell Road we knew as Rippon 's Two ladies served in there, We called them both Miss Rippon. Boy do i have memories of the buildings especially when i was a boy during the war Cheers
Sunday 5 October 2008 3.26pm
rippons was taken over by the people who had the shop in harper road ,i forget name , remember shop in harper road we used to put empty fling bottle in a big machine and get a cold full bottle but had to be a bit sly ha ha
Sunday 5 October 2008 5.20pm
Hello Bob
yes remember the off licence and the dog's the big white one used to jump up at the counter,Mr Brett was horrible man and used to encorage the dog,and remember he used to stamp his bottles with his name and if you tried to take a bottle back without his stamp he would'nt take it back,and i am sure he never stamped some on purpose,do you remember the woman who worked in there Mrs Mc Manus she had a daughter Agnes they lived in scovell rd,there was a famous line in the old film the 39 steps (Agnes were's me hymn book) dont think a day went by that we did'nt call it out to her at school.
The shop at top of scovell rd was origanally Rippons,was then sold to a family called Gibbons and they did have another shop up harper rd,they were terrible gamblers my dad used to go New Cross dog track with them,
Sunday 5 October 2008 6.46pm
Two things I don't miss are ice on the inside of a window and wooden floors. I feel sorry for all the homes these days with laminate floors, they obviously can't afford carpets - now that's real luxury.
Sunday 5 October 2008 6.59pm
i dont miss the outside toilet in the winter did not get time to read my book (too cold)or the tin bath when it was frozen
Sunday 5 October 2008 8.18pm
Laminate floors are a swear words to me,i hate them as you said we waited years for fitted carpets,we had lino (not vinyl)on our floors,and the funniest decorating ever,my dad got a job to do some decorating with a mate in a hotel in the west end,and at the end came home very pleased to have been given the left overs,it was very posh paper but only odds and sods,so we had the bedroom done up with 2 strips of each pattern,i remember my mum had to call the doctor out one night my dad was ill in bed and can still see the look on the doctors face,but we thought it looked lovely. One of the things i hated most was the mice,we were lucky we had or own toilet out on the balcony,we used to have mouse traps out there and hated finding them in the trap 1st thing in the morning. Does anyone remember the sweet shop next to the winchester pub Mr Lambert we thought he was rich when he got a car (Ford Anglia)
Sunday 5 October 2008 9.46pm
hi i remember mr lamberts shop i used to climb over the back wall with my brother and get empty lemonade bottles and take them back in the shop for pennies
Tuesday 7 October 2008 2.48pm
Fred Start has been in touch with some more images of Queen's Buildings:
circa 1930s:

1956:

And a Christmas card Fred painted:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Current: 9 of 183

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions