London SE1 community website

Kindness in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 11 November 2008 2.45pm
And thank you too,Laphroaig.I now feel light hearted and loving my fellow Man even more.
Tuesday 11 November 2008 6.29pm
I think we're better than we give ourselves credit for - most people don't want to see other people suffer/lose out, unless you're a sociopath or a criminal.

Recently I have taken to approaching people who I see looking lost and holding a map to offer them directions. Wouldn't it be great if London got a reputation for being a friendly place like so many other places in the world?
Tuesday 11 November 2008 7.43pm
I do the same, SamB, and offer to take pics by the river for the Tourists.

Today, I was able to direct two different people on the bus and another in the street. It made me feel good.

So everyone's happy! :P
Tuesday 11 November 2008 7.52pm
Yes,I like to help out with upside down maps too,but I really was confused once when a French gentleman said that he was looking for "the poodle dog".Luckily he held out his A-Z for me to check,and there it was- Puddle Dock (as in Mermaid Theatre) There was a lot of entente cordiale when I told him what I thought he'd said.
I never give up asking visitors,even when told "No,we find our way".But still,we try don't we,and that's the important bit.
Tuesday 11 November 2008 10.06pm
I find myself often responding to a certain request for directions with 'now do you mean Tower Bridge?' with helpful flappy hand gestures. There's usually much appreciation.
Tuesday 11 November 2008 10.19pm
I offered my seat to a woman of about 60 on the tube today, because she was struggling to stay upright while holding a load of shopping, and she said, "Don't be ridiculous. Do I really look that old?"
Wednesday 12 November 2008 12.33am
Read your post last night Sandy, I'm in Australia now but lived in Se1 for years.

I thought it quite natural for you to post as you did. Genuine honesty isn't as prevelent as those who posted with such outrage seem to think.

Might I suggest they put their theory of peoples honesty to the test by depositing their wallets or purses around to see if they are returned to them so promptly?

Random acts of kindness do occur but they are random. To think that everyone would react in the same manner is ridiculous and a blinkered opinion.

Their posts say more about them wishing to appear superior and their personal integrity above suspicion than anything truely pertinent to your comments.

I felt as you did about the incident and hope that should that person ever be in a similar situation, the same kindness and honesty be extended to them.
Wednesday 12 November 2008 9.44am
Well, thanks for the very kind compliments! Yes, I definitely was attempting to appear superior by agreeing that returning someone's money to him did not merit a medal. You got me there.
Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.56am
Dear Longlaner..please stay as kind as you are,at least until you're able to offer me a seat.I have several skeletal problems,though you wouldn't know it by looking at me,and many's the time I have been almost in tears when I have to stand with the bus's jumping around,especially over those speed bumps.What wouldn't I have given for you,Sir Galahad? I 'm appalled that you were so rudely turned down.Perhaps she 's not on HRT ?
Wednesday 12 November 2008 11.03am
Lori- thankyou for your long and interesting mail.Hope that you're enjoying Oz,but we'll miss your way of thinking back here!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions