London SE1 community website

Kindness in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
AC
Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.24pm
whilst at a South American festival at Southwark Park, a lady in front of me dropped her phone without realising. I watched her for several seconds wondering if she'd notice and pick it up, or wondering if anyone would notice if I nicked it.

after a while I did pick it up, tapped her on the shoulder, gave her the phone back, and she just looked incredibly shocked, muttered thank you, and turned away to continue chatting to her friends.

I should've nicked it, it's better than mine.
Wednesday 12 November 2008 6.01pm
Love that punch-line ,AC !
Thursday 13 November 2008 12.18pm
Laphroaig get off your high horse and get real for a moment. AC was totally honest, we are all tempted at times but rarely admit it. It doesn't necessarily alter what we do, however, to infer that we are all honest and beyond reproach is plain silly.

It was your holier than thou attitude that pushed my buttons just as my comments pushed yours.

AC my mother always said that honesty was its own reward and she was dead right. I think she felt that ill gotten gains would bring some kind of retribution. I'm more realistic. It just wouldn't sit right with my conscience. You did the right thing, good on ya!
Thursday 13 November 2008 1.08pm
Lori, you don't know me, and I take massive exception to you pretending to know anything about my attitudes or my morals. If I tell you (honestly) that I have never in my life been tempted to steal something, you will just tell me that I'm lying. I believe that the majority of people are honest, and in my experience they have been. You can believe otherwise. I won't stoop to your level and tell you that you are ridiculous for thinking so. Please keep your personal comments to yourself in future.
Thursday 13 November 2008 1.42pm
How sad that a thread about KINDNESS should descend into squabbling.

Makes you despair, really :-(

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Thursday 13 November 2008 3.57pm
well said James. Much as I love this site sometimes it really can be a bit unfriendly which is such a shame.

For my tuppance worth. I do believe that the the majority of people are trustworthy and honest most if not all of the time. It is good to hear of such an act of kindness on this forum and helps us all keep a more Balance view of what our area is really like, other wise it is all doom and gloom and horror stories which does not reflect the reality for at least for myself and most of the people I know who live in SE1. But prehaps to say someone deserves a medal for doing what is the right thing to do even if it might have been tempting not to, was a little bit excessive.
Thursday 13 November 2008 6.30pm
James, I apologize for squabbling. I should not have responded.
Friday 14 November 2008 1.46am
James it takes all sorts for a forum to work effectively. How mindlessly boring it would be if we should all have the same reaction or opinion on issues or incidents.

It wasn't my intention to cause dispair, whimpering apologies or protestations of personal honesty. I presume the majority of us are adults with different life experiences and the forum should reflect this.

I say let us give credit where credit is due and where we disagree, say so spontaneously and give the reason why. Jackie did so and then came the reproof that she was cynical which I thought unrealistic therefore, I gave my differing opinion and comments. Hardly the crime of the century surely?
Friday 14 November 2008 12.01pm
Well, to inject a bit more positivity, I just directed a couple to Marshalsea Road, from Bermondsey/Morocco Streets, where they had been directed earlier! As they had started at London Bridge, I can't imagine how they had ended up there, lol. And the sun is shining :-)
Monday 17 November 2008 1.05pm
I found a large (expensive) holdall with an iphone, medication, clothing etc that had been left on the pavement in W1. Took it to the Police Station who I checked with to see if the owner had collected it. They have... Whilst I didn't expect anything in return, a call or note of thanks would have been nice... Predictably, I received neither.

I wouldn't mind but it took an hour out of my Sunday to take it to the police stations and hand it in! I guess somepeople have no manners.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions