London SE1 community website

Kindness in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 17 November 2008 1.09pm
About 18 months ago my wallet fell out of my pocket while I was cycling in Holborn.

A security guard on his way to the night shift at a nearby law firm picked it up and phoned me to say he'd found it and I could collect it from the reception desk at his firm. I was very grateful - and heartened that he'd made the effort to help.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 17 November 2008 7.28pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
I found a large (expensive) holdall with an iphone, medication, clothing etc that had been left on the pavement in W1. Took it to the Police Station who I checked with to see if the owner had collected it. They have... Whilst I didn't expect anything in return, a call or note of thanks would have been nice... Predictably, I received neither.
I wouldn't mind but it took an hour out of my Sunday to take it to the police stations and hand it in! I guess somepeople have no manners.

I found a Prada handbag on a Saturday morning in my wheelie bin with just a few items in it and one of the items was the owners business card - she was a solicitor whose office was in Clink Street. I too spent time speaking to the security officer of the company who confirmed that the bag had been stolen on Friday evening. I advised him that I would be taking it to the police station - it was very busy and I spent nearly 1.5 hours waiting and giving a statement - and like you jonnyp42, I never expected a reward because they had stolen everything anyway but a thank you would have been nice especially since she was a professional person.
Monday 17 November 2008 8.54pm
Would they be able to thank you what with data protection?
Thursday 20 November 2008 2.05pm
hahaha - Burger King are currently using 'dropped' wallets for marketing in US

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2008/11/19/burger-king-has-dropped-their-wallet/
Sunday 23 November 2008 9.52am
But why not just return the Prada bag to the owner directly ?
Sunday 23 November 2008 6.34pm
boroughmark wrote:
But why not just return the Prada bag to the owner directly ?

I was going to do that on the Monday morning or give it to the security officer where the 'lady' worked on the Saturday morning, but he thought it best if I was to take it to the police station.

Gordon OKR wrote:
Would they be able to thank you what with data protection?

Apparently the police will give the owner the name and address of the finder if they ask.

Incidently, I LOVE Prada bags but have never been able to afford one - but I never once had a second thought about giving it back - a friend said I was bonkers!!
Sunday 23 November 2008 6.46pm
Honesty is the best policy.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions