London SE1 community website

South Bank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 8 January 2004 11.30am
Do you think that the South Bank could do with some more cafes lining the river walk with outside seating? I wouldn't welcome a flood of big chain eateries like StarBucks or Pret, but some nice independant cafes, similar to ones dotted around Soho would certainly provide more choice.

I know that there's Gabriel's Wharf, but whenever I went there last summer, it seemed to be over-populated by pigeons.
Thursday 8 January 2004 11.34am
I agree. Being new-ish to the area, I thought the Founders Arms would be a place to eat in the Summer, but I've been told that's a pigeon-fest too.

Lots of indepently run cafés where cooking is done with a bit of heart would be nice. To have a nice range would be good too - French, Italian, tapas, sushi, vegan, vegetarian etc...
Thursday 8 January 2004 12.36pm
Exactly. The last thing London needs is more branches of StarBucks etc. My heart sank the other week when I saw a Costa Coffee kiosk in the middle of Camden market.

What can they do about the pigeons? I'm all in favour of shooting them but I know many people would disagree.
Thursday 8 January 2004 12.57pm
Why don't we open up a café along the Thames that serves only pigeon based delicacies (a'la The Two Ronnies 'Rook Café')...???
Thursday 8 January 2004 1.13pm
How about a big sign with ' NO PIGEONS' on it?
Thursday 8 January 2004 1.16pm
that should do the trick
Thursday 8 January 2004 1.27pm
Blackfriars Tube station has walls painted in anti-climbing paint. Surely we could get some anti-pigeon paint?
Thursday 8 January 2004 1.52pm
Find a friendly falconer ?

;-)

Thursday 8 January 2004 2.04pm
Biscuit Boy...how many pigeons do you know that can read?
Thursday 8 January 2004 2.26pm
My family doctor is Dr. Pigeon. She's quite literate.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions