London SE1 community website

Good GP in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 6 November 2008 12.53pm
Lol Jan, yes!
Friday 7 November 2008 4.27pm
I joined to Decima Street when I lived in Pages Walk - I went there once and they were lovely.

BUT THEN I then moved temporarily up the road and went back to Decima street when I was pregnant. The Doctor (female, older, posh, skinny) was appalling:

Doctor: we can't treat you as you are out of the catchment area.
Me: But you're my Doctors - you have my records. I've just moved and I'm only staying with my brother until I settle properly.
Doctor: you mean you're homeless?
Me: no, not really.
Doctor: (said very condescendingly) you cannot be pregnant and be of no fixed abode.
Me: errr... I'm not. I just haven't decided where I want to live yet.
Doctor: well when you get yourself sorted you can find yourself a doctor.
Me: I'm not homeless or a teenager. I just need a referral to a hospital unit and I'll be out of your hair. And as soon as I find myself somewhere lovely, I'll find myself a great Doctor.
Doctor: but you have no address for the referral.
Me: errr I'm staying with my brother. He's not homeless either...
Doctor: And I presume there's no father?
Me: No. Me and my brother have a lovely dad.
Doctor: No that's not what...
Me; I'm being facetious. There's is a father. And when WE decide where we want to live then we'll happily live together. In the meantime can you just refer me so I can get the tests done....

She finally did. But I didn't get an appointment at the hospital until well after the initial tests should have taken place. For some reason her referral letter took nearly three months to get there. Luckily I'd sorted it myself by that time. What amazed me is that she was being like that to a feisty, thirtysomething working woman. What is I HAD been a homeless teenager... It beggars belief.
Saturday 8 November 2008 1.49pm
Lullubelle, was that doctor a locum or something? they are normally very nice there. But I would have been livid had she ' presumed' about the father issue, did she think babies conception took place in a test tube! Her moralistic opinions should not have prevented her referring you or even a single mum of ten children by different dads to a midwifes care..and as for the long wait!
Saturday 8 November 2008 6.52pm
Dr Torry in Decima Street is good. Unfortunately she is so fully booked each time I needed to see her. She also does evening clinics but again they are full for the next 3 weeks! I'm a healthcare professional myself in a hospital and will know a good doctor if I see one. Recently, Dr Torry was so fully booked I ended up seeing a young lady GP down at their branch in Grange Road. As I only wanted my ultrasound results in print since I can read it myself, I thought seeing any doctor would be fine. The GP I ended up seeing was rather clueless with my diagnosis and insenstive with her words. In her defence though I think she is just being inexperience and at no time she was trying to be nasty. After all the 'explanation' (some inaccurate and almost all unnecessary) she gave me she said I have taken 'too much of her time'. Mmm...that's interesting. With the structure of the healthcare (funding issues), there is an increasing number of unkind GPs as a results of the pressure they are being put under, not that this is a good excuse at all. Good recommendation from people does help in finding a good GP or even a plumber since society is full of cowboys.
Sunday 9 November 2008 3.17pm
The Blackfriars Medical Centre in Colombo St SE1 is great - you can always get an appointment on the same day and usually with a choice of doctor. Have been with them for 3 years and cannot rate them highly enough
jw
Sunday 9 November 2008 9.48pm
I would back Boroughmark on the Colombo - doctors have been great (been there 2 years now)

Dr Barnard is particularly great.
Monday 10 November 2008 7.43am
This thread has come just at the right time for me. Although I've lived in Southwark for more than eleven years I held on to my valued hungarian doctor in Islington. Her brisk, no nonsense manner could be a little scary but she had a heart of gold and happily enquired after your general wellbeing outside of any immediate reason for being there, a sign of a good GP. I wish her well in retirement (not that she'll read this).
Monday 10 November 2008 2.09pm
longlaner wrote:
I tried to join at Decima St and was told I was outside the catchment, even though I'm about 7-8 mins from there. Ended up at Falmouth Rd, which is adequate.

Agreed, when I politely told Dr Campion at Mill Street that I didn't appreciate him always missing our appointments he reacted by removing me from his list!
Monday 10 November 2008 3.52pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Agreed, when I politely told Dr Campion at Mill Street that I didn't appreciate him always missing our appointments he reacted by removing me from his list!

Phew - I thought I was the only one! When I moved to Notting Hill for 1.5 months to a temporary rented accommodation they did not want to let me stay with them until I had found another GP. 1.5 months later I moved to Blackfriars and am now at the Colombo centre where they are always friendly, the doctors listen and although they do sometimes run a bit late, they are generally quite on time...If you live in the area that Colombo Street serves, I can't recommend them highly enough
Monday 10 November 2008 6.09pm
I agree with boroughmark - Blackfriars Medical Centre are fab. We moved here 2 years ago and we've always had great care from them and their receptionists are really helpful.
Fi
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions