London SE1 community website

Good GP in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 10 November 2008 9.40pm
I sign up with BMC tomorrow:)
Tuesday 11 November 2008 8.18pm
Bad (painful) experience at the Artesian yesterday night, with a nurse, would not recommend
Tuesday 11 November 2008 8.30pm
I think that may be the place my GP surgery at Decima Street sent me to when Dr Torry was fully booked. I saw a young doctor who was rather insensitive with her words. I asked the doctor for some dressing too for the painful blisters on my feet. She asked me to get them from the reception who obviously would not have a clue which type of dressing would be suitable for those blisters. It would have been quicker for her to walk across the corridor to get them from the clinical room. I eventually gave the receptionist a few brand names and the description of the packaging! How could a doctor ask a receptionist to get a patient some dressing without assessing my wound or record - what if I have a history of allergic reaction to tapes, history of cold extremities, diabetics?
Tuesday 11 November 2008 10.26pm
My GP surgery is the Falmouth Road Group Practice and I have been a patient for over 50 years - in my opinion it has definitely gone down the pan!!. You can only get an appointment on the day you ring and usually you cannot get through within the first hour because it is always engaged. You cannot book an appointment in advance and you cannot request a particular doctor.

This year I had an ulcerated leg and after 3 visits to the doctor they finally referred me to the surgery nurse - what a nightmare - she never had the correct tape to hold the dressing in place and I had to go to the chemist and buy some and bring it back to her. Then she ran out of the dressings and was using a different type - this was going on 3 times a week for weeks and the wound was getting worse but she insisted it was getting better. I went to 2 doctors to ask their opinion and one said the best course of action would be to ‘pop in' to A&E the next day. Of the 5 doctors I had seen only one (the first) actually looked at the ulcer. After complaining to the doctor and hospital I am now being treated at a dedicated clinic and couldn't be better looked after.

I have not needed to visit the surgery since and I am very reluctant to go anyway - I'd rather see the company doctor.
Wednesday 12 November 2008 8.09am
What awful stories..My husband had a small pressure sore on his ankle, I covered it with a small non adhesive dressing. It stayed the same size and depth. On a visit to g.p. to collect prescription for him mentioned the sore and asked for some dressings for it. I was told that pressure sores need special dressings and that only someone expert in wound care could deal with, fair enough, then the district nurse came round, prescribed one type..a different one would call and say no thats old fashioned use this one..this was repeated for months! and the sore got bigger. He was diabetic and unable to walk without support at that time.
Eileen where is the dedicated clinic as my friend has a similar problem?

Still it's better than Derby, my daughter had surgery, got a massive infection, phoned the emergency doctor who does not do home visits, she was told to attend a night clinic near town, who gave her antibiotics, dressed this massive wound and gave her a prescription which she took into her local chemist. He had to order them, she was due to go back to her surgery to have it dressed again the following day they had no suitable dressings! She had a hole in her tummy the size of an orange...
Wednesday 12 November 2008 11.50am
Blackfriars Medical Centre on Columbo Street.
Wednesday 12 November 2008 12.02pm
Eileen wrote:
My GP surgery is the Falmouth Road Group Practice and I have been a patient for over 50 years - in my opinion it has definitely gone down the pan!!. You can only get an appointment on the day you ring and usually you cannot get through within the first hour because it is always engaged. You cannot book an appointment in advance and you cannot request a particular doctor.

I had the same problem at Parkers Row surgery when I lived in Leathermarket Court (this was three years ago). The practice nurse was rude and the doctors dismissive of patient concerns. When it was clarified by the government that this business of insisting that patients called for appointments on the day they want them (which was never convenient for me at all) was not government policy but was entirely about PCTs trying to improve their figures and that patients should be able to book their appointments in advance and should be able to get an appointment within 48 hours if they need one, I called Parkers Row to see if they had changed their policy. The practice manager who spoke to me was incredibly rude and shouted at me that the PCT demanded it of them. When I challenged this and said that it was not the practice at Blackfriars medical centre or other surgeries of which I had been a member he said that if I didn't like it, I could go else where. So I did - to Decima Street who were always excellent (Dr Torry).

I am now at Princess Street Group Practice who have always been very good - emergency appointments every morning and late surgeries - and you can book appointments well in advance!
Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.34pm
I am with Falmouth road as i said earlier and you can get advance appointments albeit they have more if you ring on the day and you can request a paticular doctor-i did exactly that last week and they gave me a choice of who i wanted.
Thursday 13 November 2008 5.13pm
I needed a fast appointment and hadn't yet signed up anywhere since moving to the UK in February. I went to Decima St. after work on Tuesday and signed up within ten minutes and got an appointment at Artesian for Thursday. At my appointment today I was called 30 seconds after arriving, even though I was several minutes early. I was in and out with a prescription in ten minutes. Everyone at both places were helpful and friendly and I was amazed at how fast and smooth it all was, although I don't have other UK doctor visits to compare it to. I had a simple problem and no preference about location, specific doctor or gender of doctor, so factor that into my experience, but so far thumbs up! Thanks for this thread.
Thursday 13 November 2008 7.32pm
dee dee wrote:
I am with Falmouth road as i said earlier and you can get advance appointments albeit they have more if you ring on the day and you can request a paticular doctor-i did exactly that last week and they gave me a choice of who i wanted.

Thanks for that information dee dee, I telephoned today to check and they confirmed that an appointment can be made up to 5 days in advance and you can request a particular doctor if they are available - which is good news. They said that this has been in place for only two or three months - they have obviously listened to the patients views on the appointments issues. Hopefully they will get the rest of services back on track.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions