London SE1 community website

Good GP in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Thursday 30 April 2009 4.32pm
Any views on Parker Street?
Friday 1 May 2009 8.27pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Davies wrote:
Agree with above. Avoid Mill Street like the plague.
The doctor, it's the same one, he's the boss, I can name him if anyone wants, was vile to me, refused me medication prescribed by two consultants because he didn't want it on his budget and lied to a third who replaced one of the first two who was off sick, so he didn't have to prescribe this drug which left me without treatment and in great pain for months. I subsequently had to have an operation I might not otherwise have needed and then this went badly wrong.

Dr C also refused to treat a kidney infection and excruciating earache/sore throat apparently simply on the grounds that he didn't like me in spite of the fact I was unfailingly polite no matter how vile he was because I needed his help. Not that I ever got it. I went to Medicentre in Waterloo who actually did urine tests on the spot and looked at my throat and were horrified with the state of both. A short course of antibiotics fixed me up and it all cost a fortune.

He also gave me incorrect information about an eye problem I consulted him on which could have cost me my sight if things had deteriorated and if I hadn't already had excellent and contradictory advice from an optician who was a lot more thorough.

I got the clear impression the very last time I was there before moving to another practice that the locum GP I saw that time hated him too. She gave me some good advice and then got out her prescription pad and asked me what I wanted. I wasn't short of much (asthma, need regular scripts) but she insisted on writing out prescriptions for large amounts of inhalers for me. In retrospect I am profoundly grateful to her. Those inhalers kept me going for years. It's hard to get the good ones these days.

I'm now at another practice. It's not great. One or two good doctors, one or two terrible doctors, one or two average.

I had a great GP for years when I lived in South West London. I hardly ever had to visit her. My health has really suffered since moving to Southwark.

Dr C left me mistrusting and disliking doctors generally.

Interesting -- I was referring to my experience of Dr C. It seems we both had very similar experiences.

He's only interested in his 'Quality Outcomes' if you're not within one of the groups covered by those narrow NHS measures of success you might as well not exist.

I did contact the PCT who seemed genuinely alarmed by my experience but pretty much admitted that there was nothing they could do other than broker a reconciliation. Strangely I wasn't interested.
Who would Be?
The sensible thing is to get out of there ASAP.
When I tried to complain I just got told to make a complaint to the practice manager. Who's employed by Dr C.
Quality outcomes = money. That's all.

Until the complaints system in the NHS actually protects the patient instead of the doctor all you can do is vote with your feet. Which isn't so easy either with the catchment area thing.
Decima St wouldn't have me in spite of the fact that I'm only five minutes walk away. They have a catchment area the size of a postage stamp as far as I can tell.
Friday 1 May 2009 8.31pm
markadams99 wrote:
Any views on Parker Street?
Biggish practice. One or two really good doctors, some average, one or two terrible.

It's quite entertaining, in a deeply depressing sort of way, sitting in the waiting room listening to people plead to get to see the one or two good ones unless you know you failed and are waiting to see one of the really bad ones in which case it's just plain terrifying.

I suspect it's as good as you are going to get round here and I don't blame them entirely. The whole system is dire right now and nothing to do with patient care, only money. They are probably mostly doing their best. It may not be your best; because they have to spread their budgets and may be sacrificing you to help some else.
That's the fundamental problem.

The massive amounts of taxpayers money to the NHS go mostly on management, infrastructure, IT etc. Actually spending it on treating people is regarded as a last resort.
Friday 1 May 2009 9.17pm
Thanks Davies. As you imply, Parker Street is the only other option for Shad Thamesians. Dickens would approve of your outlook.
Saturday 2 May 2009 1.19am
Dickens can have my doctors!

I'd be slightly happier if at least they were honest and TOLD you they weren't going to diagnose you with a perfectly, cheaply, treatable complaint because once you got diagnosed with this condition you get free prescriptions for the rest of your life and they don't want it on their budgets. That way you could at least pay for it privately if you have a job and can get on with your life.

Instead you get left to rot not knowing what's wrong for years and falling apart.

I really hate doctors these days.

If you get really ill, get on the Eurostar and go to France or Brussels.
Saturday 2 May 2009 11.46am
Davies wrote:
Funnily enough that's exactly what both my French colleagues do. After one interaction with NHS gynaecological provision one of them said she would rather die on the train than step foot in an NHS hospital again...
Saturday 2 May 2009 1.20pm
I have just moved from Falmouth Road surgery to Decima Street as was finding Falmouth Road really ground me down, the reception staff were so rude and difficult about my repreat prescriptions and it was just getting to be so much hassle. I never found the doctors all that good either, especially the lead partner who was horribly insensitive when giving my partner some test results once. So far seen Dr Torry at Decima St and she seemed very nice.
Monday 4 May 2009 9.06pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Davies wrote:
Funnily enough that's exactly what both my French colleagues do. After one interaction with NHS gynaecological provision one of them said she would rather die on the train than step foot in an NHS hospital again...

Do they have any advice on where to go when you get to Paris?
Monday 11 May 2009 3.28pm
Just wanted to add a further warning to people about the Doctor at Mill St surgey - he is a shockingly bad doctor. This guy basically does not care about patients health. How he is allowed to practice amazes me. Other peoples comments on this forum please me as it confirms how I have been feeling about him and my treatment from him. Stay away is my advice...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions