London SE1 community website

General Election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14
Friday 1 May 2009 4.39pm
^ Well, Vince Cable has thoroughly impressed me with his grasp of the economic crisis.

Also, the Lib Dems are the only major party who seem to care about civil liberties and freedoms (the Tories won't do much to reverse Labour's Orwellian legacy). I agree with most of the Lib Dem's other policies too - on the environment, transport, public services, etc.

I think it's worth giving them a chance, so they'll have my vote at the next election. I voted Labour in the previous 3 elections.

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Friday 1 May 2009 5.56pm
Ah - so it's not about real change after all ;o)

Fact of the matter is that you like their policies which, being fair, is as far as I am concerned the only right reason to vote for anyone in the first place. Whether it will lead to change or not will probably remain to be seen. After all, Labour also promissed "real change" when they were first elected this time around...
Friday 1 May 2009 11.37pm
Since when were the Lib Dems a major party? Their chances of winning a General Election are nil.
Tuesday 5 May 2009 7.15am
I agree, voting LibDem is throwing away your vote, sad as it is. But New Labour (what WAS that supposed to mean?) have really made the UK a less attractive place. Mrs Thatcher was a scary woman,and I know some people think SHE is to blame for what Britain has become, I honestly dont know who has created this strangely UN-gentle society we live in. Yesterday I took my 93 year old mum to Tesco, and as I whipped in to the only disabled parking place left, I said to the the young man who had taken the one before (strapping bloke glued to his mobile phone) "Disabled, are you?", so I got the customary "F**K Off" and my MOTHER said "Watch it you'll get knifed". What have we come to when a woman born in 1916 who has seen all the changes feels that THAT is the norm??
Wednesday 6 May 2009 10.02am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I agree, voting LibDem is throwing away your vote, sad as it is.

Ah but it's not really throwing away your vote in SE1 because our MP is Lib Dem. Throwing away your vote is done by voting labour if you live in Surrey, or voting tory if you live in Teesside.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 10.25am
Interesting - this comes back to what JonR said, who you vote for probably depends on the candidates and who serves the particular area (local, regional, national) best.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 10.59am
I think that's right. Plus it's a good control on the government (of whichever colour) to have an effective opposition. At the moment obviously the tories are the official opposition but other parties can have an impact. For example it was the Lib Dems that tabled the recent motion regarding the gurkhas on which the Govt was defeated.
Sunday 17 May 2009 2.11pm
candidates for election should be selected democraticaly with local primaries as they are in the USA. the whole mps expenses row i feel is a result of too many time serving back benchers in safe seats who think the worls owes them a living. it will be interesting to see how this whole affair pans out...are we going to see mass deselections by loacl parties or will the long serving mps use their connections and the favours they have done in the past to call in support?
but to go back to the intial posting it has to be Anyone But Brown doesnt it?
Thursday 13 August 2009 2.52pm
France and Germany have come out of recession , Britain's resection is getting worse ,

Beacon to the rest of the world boooooooooooo!!!
slow hand clap------------------------------------------------clap-----------------------------------------------------clap---------------------------------------------------clap--------------------------------------------------------clap------------------------------------------------------clap
Thursday 13 August 2009 3.28pm
David Edward Sutch. R.I.P.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions