London SE1 community website

General Election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 14
Tuesday 27 April 2010 10.10pm
Still haven't made my mind up ad to which party gets my vote, except I am able to say it won't be Labour. Who is in charge - Brown or Mandleson? Seems like latter from where I'm standing! Is he even an elected politician?
Wednesday 28 April 2010 11.02am

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Wednesday 28 April 2010 7.35pm
REally? Cameron is Murdoch's puppet? Dunno. But Gordon just HAS to go. Gold went up again today. Remember when he sold all ours off at a bargain basement prince? Prudence indeed! Cant decide myself, but I fear the Lib Dems, however nice Nick Clegg may be, just dont have the team, and I doubt they have their ducks in a row since this surge has come out of the blue and they havent really had time to "prepare for government" as the elec-speak puts it.
Thursday 29 April 2010 10.12am
Where's Screaming Lord Sutch when you need him?

UKIP for me.
Thursday 29 April 2010 11.49am
Thought: If one were to support, say, UKIP* or the BNP*, would one's most useful thing to do in the long term be to support the LibDems this time round in order to get PR, a system under which their party could eventually win a seat?

(*chosen as examples of parties which have no chance of making a Govt, but which, arguably, have a chance of getting 1/646ths of the overall vote - there are 646 MPs' seats in Commons)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 29 April 2010 3.32pm
There is always this argument about the "wasted vote" and so on. Of course PR does make sense to some degree, it seems absurd that so many people's votes just go into the bin. It's true that lunatic fringe parties also get a chance to creep in. Shouldnt we be able to take our chances in a democracy and be able to handle a few nutters? I also wonder how long those BNP members would actually LAST in Parliament.
Thursday 29 April 2010 7.22pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thought: If one were to support, say, UKIP* or the BNP*, would one's most useful thing to do in the long term be to support the LibDems this time round in order to get PR, a system under which their party could eventually win a seat?

Thought: vote for the person who best represents your views.
Friday 30 April 2010 11.38am
At each TV debate they have a panel of 'undecided' voters with a button control to measure their reaction to answers. At the end of the debate most of the 'undecided' are still undecided. What are undecided voters waiting for? A eureka moment or a clever soundbite, or maybe they like the attention given to the undecided.
Thank goodness the undecided aren't running for office, or worse still, running the country. Nothing would get done.
Friday 30 April 2010 3.01pm
markadams99 wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Even if you know that gives them no chance of being elected (in a first past the post system)?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 April 2010 11.16pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Even if you know that gives them no chance of being elected (in a first past the post system)?

Yes. It's right, it encourages the candidate and party you prefer, it promotes the wisdom of crowds, it diminishes the status quo,it may have immediate consequences, eg many conservatives will vote for UKIP to get rid of Cameron.
Current: 8 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions