London SE1 community website

General Election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 14
Sunday 2 May 2010 4.23am
Simon Hughes has always struck me as untrustworthy, but those who might vote for him should do so with their eyes open.
Damian Thompson in the DT wrote:
Sunday 2 May 2010 7.24am
Blimey!!!
Sunday 2 May 2010 10.44am
Whole world needs a leader like this!

IS THIS BIGOTED OR JUST PLAIN COMMON SENSE????

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Rudd angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT...Take It Or Leave It.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves in Canada & USA , WE will find the courage to start speaking and voicing the same truths.

If you agree please SEND THIS ON and ON, to as many people as you know

Way to go!

I wish some leaders would step up in Canada & USA .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get started.

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.
Sunday 2 May 2010 8.58pm
Jackie, this quote is a well-known hoax.
Monday 3 May 2010 8.18am
on the other hand simon hughes' performance is genuine...plenty of food for thought there
Monday 3 May 2010 9.28am
Oops I didnt know it was a hoax. What a shame it makes total sense!
Monday 3 May 2010 9.59am
Mrs R, Gordon Brown would probably call you a 'bigoted woman', Obama too. Come over to the dark side.
Monday 3 May 2010 10.54am
Yeah yeah, and see if I care! Dont give a stuff if people think I'm bigoted - being Jewish I'm used to insults. I've got all the time in the world for people, black, white, pink or purple. My family were immigrants once, and made it their business to make sure they, and we, were fully integrated into Britain. Making people who choose to come here accept and join in the prevailing culture is entirely legitimate. If they want their women to live in purdah, speak Urdu, arrange forced marriages, carry on with female circumcison, kill anyone who consorts with the "others"...please, please, go back whence you came and do it there.
Monday 3 May 2010 11.37am
I really, really want to respect and vote for Simon Hughes.

But, after watching his cringeworthy sucking-up YouTube video again I just can't.
Monday 3 May 2010 11.38am
If Israel and Britain were on opposite sides in a conflict Jackie, which country would you support?. I suggest most jewish people would support Israel.
If an englisman abroad wore local attire or spoke the language he was usually accused of 'going native'. All English people like to create 'a little bit of England in a foreign land'.
English spoken here, fish and chips, bingo tonight are signs used to attract the british abroad who in the main have no desire to experience a foreign culture.
I think Chinatown and Brick Lane add to the dynamism of london. Some immigrants, and their descendants, are more intolerant than the indigenous population.
Current: 9 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions