London SE1 community website

Mayor of London Boris Johnson

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 15 April 2009 12.19pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
better than comrade livingstone by a mile...

If you're a gas-guzzling motorist who denies global warming and hates public spaces then yeah, I could understand why you'd say that.

Well, that intelligent and thoughtful statement certainly contributed to the discussion.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 2.26pm
Why does he insist on scrapping the bendy bus? They're great - their higher capacity reduces the number of buses needed (and so engine emissions are less) and the multiple doors means people can get on and off quicker reducing times at bus stops making the journey faster.

How much is Boris spending to scrap a great design and replace it with an inferior and less convenient bus?
Wednesday 15 April 2009 4.20pm
Jonathan K wrote:
Why does he insist on scrapping the bendy bus? They're great - their higher capacity and the multiple doors means people can get on and off quicker reducing times at bus stops making the journey faster.

And best of all they are free, apparently!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 4.36pm
The replacement non-bendy buses on routes 507 and 521 will still allow multiple door entry - making the replacement of bendy buses as much of a political stunt as a serious change to transport policy.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 April 2009 4.29pm
Laphroaig wrote:
I love him. But of course I can't vote for him anyway.

Well, you can at the next election. Mayor of London can be voted for by all Londoners, just make sure you are registered on the electoral role.
Friday 17 April 2009 5.30am
Bendies are kilers and cause huge comgestion when they block road junctions. the sooner they are scrapped the better
Friday 17 April 2009 7.13am
Tattie wrote:
Well, you can at the next election. Mayor of London can be voted for by all Londoners, just make sure you are registered on the electoral role.

Seriously? That's crazy!
Friday 17 April 2009 9.23am
Trust me - I'm foreign and I can vote for London mayor!
Friday 17 April 2009 9.23am
Not really. You're living here..drinking all our whisky. etc...why shouldn't you be able to vote?

Makes sense to me.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 17 April 2009 12.26pm
boroughpaul wrote:
Bendies are kilers and cause huge comgestion when they block road junctions. the sooner they are scrapped the better

No difference in the accident rates between bendy buses, non-bendy buses and Routemasters according to this analysis. Couldn't find any statistics on whether one bendy bus causes more congestion than 2 non-bendy buses or any other articulated vehicle.

As the evidence to replace one fleet of (new) buses with another is not compelling, Boris' plan doesn't appear to be a reasonable use of tax payers money.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions