London SE1 community website

Three cheers for Prince Charles.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Thursday 18 June 2009 12.35pm
I'm not a supporter of the telegraph ,

but It doesn't mater what the rights and wrongs of his other views on other issues are
I agree with him on this.
Friday 19 June 2009 11.48am
So there we have it out of the horses , sorry Esther Rantzen Mouth,on question time ,
Prince Charles is right.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 1.38pm
Simon Jenkins wrote:
Rogers's charge, that the prince was an "unelected wielder of power" in seeking to influence his client, the Qatari royal family, to reject his design for the site was understandable but wrong.
The heir to the throne has no constitutional status and no role in the planning process. Had he sought to interfere in a ministerial decision on the site, that would have been inappropriate though not unconstitutional.

He did not do so. He merely expressed a view in public, as might any celebrity, and tried to persuade a friendly prince to agree with him.

Indeed Rogers's specific accusation might have been turned on himself. He is an unelected member of Parliament, with more formal constitutional power than the prince.

He can propose and pass laws, whereas the prince by precedent does not even attend parliament.

In addition, Rogers is an official adviser on architecture to the Mayor of London, under both Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson.

As such he is in a position directly to influence the Mayor in his exercise of planning power over large building projects in the capital.

He thus carries a clear conflict of interest between the public good and his personal promotion and design of "icon" buildings for rich developers.

If there is to be an inquiry into the rights and wrongs of this affair, as he demands, by "an independent committee of constitutional experts", it should embrace his lordship as well as his royal highness.
Friday 3 July 2009 9.20pm
I agree with that,
I also agree with what Simon Jenkins said a couple of years age , that the developers of sky scrapers aren't Gong to distinguish between what's good and bad. Which is why there location has to be controlled.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions