London SE1 community website

Let's all work together for.......

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 6 August 2009 3.11pm
sorry I'm confused - what's 'Pissenlit' in French the same as in English?
Friday 7 August 2009 3.28pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedwetting

http://www.blurtit.com/q919500.html

Pick some dandelions and let us know whether it's true, Jon.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 7 August 2009 4.17pm
Funny enough saw a trendy cook on t.v. the other day who used dandelions that were ' blanched' during the growing period, similar to celery I suppose, he said it made it less bitter.

Chalkey another flower we used to pick was Bistort pollysomething! of course did not know the name when we used to pick bunches of it and try and flog them for penny!
Saturday 8 August 2009 8.42am
Jan, just googled 'Bistort,' and it says it's a member of the polygonum family. It shows a drawing of one and it does look vaguely familiar. Flogging them for a penny? Quite the little entrepenuer wern't you? That must have set you on the road to your present fortune!!
I am now ashamed to admit that one of our annual traditons was Bluebell picking. Once a year we would get the Greenline down to Kent and come home with armfulls of Bluebells. We saw no harm in it of course, neither did the hundreds of other Londoners who did the same thing. That's part of the reason we don't see them, (or oxgloves, Primroses etc.) in such abubdance these days. That, and the fact that most of the countryside is now built on!
Monday 10 August 2009 9.03am
Chalkey, it was the pretty pink one, and sometimes people did cough up a penny or two! i was so rich then....dont know what i spent it on though, sweets were still rationed..possibly a penny bun.
Monday 10 August 2009 9.27am
You could get a lot for an old penny in those days, Jan. I can remember when my dad fist started giving me pocket money.... Two shillings a week. (10p in today's funny money.) An old penny, (1/24th of my income,) would buy a six-inch long liquorice pipe, but most of it went on marbles and flick cards. We played both games in the street of course. flicking cards up against the wall and if you covered your mate's card you got to keep all the cards on the ground. And marbles, where we rolled them along the gutter and tried to hit the other boy's marble and 'win' it. I don't remember ever washing my hands when I came in for dinner after those games, but I never got sick. Now, in these enlightened days, we've got e-coli, botulism, MRSA etc. Strange that.
Monday 17 August 2009 10.17am
JayBee wrote:
Dandelion come from the French "Dents de Lion" - Lions' teeth. The nickname in French is "Pissenlit", same as English. Thought you'd like to know!

this is what confused me - 'pissenlit' is 'peeing in the bed', but how is that the same as 'lions teeth'? or whatever? I just didn't get the 'same as English' bit.
unless the English nickname for Dandelion is Bedwetter (or something) which sounds unlikely, but still wouldn't make sense.
Monday 17 August 2009 1.31pm
we used to call them wet-the-beds i think, or was that ragwort?
Monday 17 August 2009 4.52pm
I remember the sand being put on the shore at tower bridge,I'm sure it only lasted a year because of the mud and I don't think it was in the 50 's,much earlier than that because I was still a child,
I was born in 1927 and remember playing down there.
Monday 17 August 2009 5.44pm
Esther wrote:
I remember the sand being put on the shore at tower bridge,I'm sure it only lasted a year because of the mud and I don't think it was in the 50 's,much earlier than that because I was still a child,
I was born in 1927 and remember playing down there.

1934. History of Tower Beach. Closed in 1971 because of pollution.

There's still sand there now, though not like it was, obviously. I went on it last summer during The Tower's annual archaeology weekend. This year's was 25th and 26th July, but there's always nest year...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions