London SE1 community website

Let's all work together for.......

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 17 August 2009 10.41pm
Jan. Dandelions were always known as 'wet-the-beds' although we weren't usualy so polite and they were more often refered to as 'p*** the beds.'

Esther. I don't know when the sand was first put on the beach at Tower Hill, But it was most definitely there in the fifties. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, it was known as 'the poor man's Southend.'
Tuesday 18 August 2009 12.37pm
I remember the small strip of sand chalkey right near the bridge i think..I shall now refer to my previous posting of wet-the-beds as mum would have walloped us as piss would have been a punishable offence!
Monday 25 January 2010 1.25pm
Hi Chalkey - I remember the escapologist at Tower Hill, too. My memory is that while he was in his sack wrapped up in tightly in chains and padlocks, big swords pushed along the length of the sack underneath the chain-links, he'd have his masked assistant roaming around him cracking a whip (it kept us spectators well out of the way),and collecting money while he rolled and writhed around in his sack to make his escape.
I regularly used to watch this as a boy and was fascinated - a flavour of the the dark history of that part of London (almost a kind of throwback to it) was, I suspect, what made it so memorable to me, a 'taste of those times' that I still recollect vividly some 50+ years later.
It ain't like that around Tower Hill any more, is it? (My, how times have changed...)
Do you - does anybody out there? - know anything about this escapologist and his assistant? Names, personal histories, anything like that? Their act at Tower Bridge (did they perform anywhere else at all?) certainly imprinted the memory of it on me, you, and I suspect, many others.
Monday 25 January 2010 2.08pm
Hi Pat,
I can't add any more info re the escapologtist, but Tower Hill was a regualr summer Sunday day out for me as a kid back then. I remember I used to also sit on the cannons facing out over the Thames. So long since I was there, (over thirty years,) so don't know if the cannons are still there. Don't see why they shouldn't be. I do hear that they now have a lady Beefeater there. Whoops! Sorry, 'Yeoman of the guard.'
I'm all for equality, but if it's a woman, how can she be a Yeo-MAN of the guard? Have they got a new title for the now mixed company?
Monday 25 January 2010 3.40pm
'Yeoperson?'
Monday 25 January 2010 4.24pm
God help us, Pat. But you're probably right.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 9.44am
Interesting article, Tom, but it does bring back the memory of when my youngest daughter picked a dandelion head for the first time and took a deep breath in readyness for blowing the seeds and got a lungful. Lesson learned.
Interesting too reading the comparison of the nutritional value of dandelions compared to spinach. Don't know if it's factual, but I did hear once that although spinach is very high in iron content, our bodies cannot release it during digestion. So it's only value is as a green vegetable and not a rich source of iron. Sorry Popyey.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 9.54am
You get the iron if you have a vit c source at the same time, Chalkey.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 10.33am
There you go, tin of spinach in one hand, carton of O.J. in the other, and bingo!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions