London SE1 community website

brambles etc.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 18 September 2009 10.06am
it's a Bramble Ramble Beetroot!
Friday 18 September 2009 10.19am
beetroot wrote:
The topic title seems perfect for wandering... brambles rambles etc etc.

Jan the old one wrote:
it's a Bramble Ramble Beetroot!

The BBC have remade The Day of the Triffids. It's not been on yet has it?
Friday 18 September 2009 3.57pm
I'm a little deflated.
As I don't have a turntable I had to keep searching for the tape or CD. (Snow Goose.) Apparently it's never been released on CD and there is some doubt about tape. I can't remember if the tape I listened to all those years ago was in a blank casette case or not. I'm begining to suspect it was and was recorded from the vinyl. I've found a company that stocks the vinyl, (and thanks for your help with that, guys,) and they will burn the CD for me, but because of all the copyright laws etc. I have to buy the vinyl as well. Total cost 25. After my little indulgence of yesterday with 'The Kraken Wakes,' I'm finding it hard to justify paying that price, as much as I want it. Any ideas?
Saturday 19 September 2009 11.35am
Beetroot,
At my age the last thing you want is for time to pass by quickly. But, as my CD of 'The Kraken Wakes' arrived this morning, I can't wait for bedtime!
The accompanying synopsis made interesting reading, and I gave myself a little pat on the back after learning that the radio play was first broadcast on 28th of April, 1954, five weeks after my seventh birthday. So my earlier guestimate that I was 'probably about eight years old' when I listened to it, wasn't far off.
Sunday 20 September 2009 7.25pm
So how was your Kraken, Chalkey?
Monday 21 September 2009 1.33pm
Oooooooh..... Wish you hadn't asked!
With this super Indian summer we're all having I've been putting in some hard-core gardening, getting everything ship-shape before we batten down the hatches for winter. After crawling up to bed after a meal and a glass or three of wine, I've still only heard the first five minutes of the blessed thing before losing consciousness. I'll try again tonight. Maybe third time lucky.
Wednesday 23 September 2009 10.42am
and I forgot the periwinkle or vinca? and the ground ivy and weird grass that is impossible to pull up...I was seriously thinking about buying a fire thingy...a weedgun? then thought about forest fires that seem to speed the growth after incinerating it, then changed me mind!
Wednesday 23 September 2009 10.49am
Well, Beetroot, I've now listened to 'The Kraken Wakes,' (disc one on Monday and disc two last night.) It's good, and I'm sure I will listen to it again from time to time. But I suppose I had built it up in my mind as a gripping epic, but I didn't find it so. I can fully understand, however, why it did scare me when I first heard it as a seven year-old. In order of dramatic exitement and enjoyability, comparing it to my 'Journey into Space,' and 'Paul Temple' collections, it would rate third.
Thursday 24 September 2009 5.12pm
I'm still going to get a copy, Chalkey. Kraken was my first Wyndham. I've read them all except Chocky. Must get a copy. My favourite bit in the book is where the sticky thing has collected a bunch of people into a ball and is rolling it down to the sea. He describes the odd limbs sticking out and the a muffled groan from within. Lovely!
I watched the dvd of Triffids the other night. The BBC one from the 1981. Nothing will ever compare to the book but it was still good. I wish they'd make telly now without rushing. Why does it all have to be so quick all the time? It means there's no proper variation in pace. I got the dvds of Sapphire and Steel a few years ago and had to get used to how it lingers on shots. Worth it though.

No bindweed, Jan?
Thursday 24 September 2009 9.43pm
I would be interested to hear your comments on 'Kraken,' Beetroot. I think you mentioned in an earlier posting that you wern't born when it was first broadcast in 1954. In which case you won't remember the other bit of sci-fi that gave me the odd sleepless night. It was probably about 1955/6 when I saw it on my gran's t.v. (Didn't have a t.v. of my own 'til I was ten.) It was called 'Quatermass.' The full title may have been, 'The Quatermass Experiment,' or something like that. I'll have to google it. Another series was broadcast in the very early 1960's entitled, 'Quatermass and the Pit.' That was pretty scary too! I'm sure you'll remember these series, Jan.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions