London SE1 community website

dangly thing!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 19 January 2010 1.52pm
I call them "tea eggs" too, and I think I've seen them in the kitchen shop on the Cut.
Monday 25 January 2010 3.12pm
Ah, great minds and all that ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 January 2010 4.02pm
My granny used to say nettle tea was "good for the blood" in spring. Apparently they're the first greenstuff to appear after the winter and full of nutritional stuff you didn't get in the months when greens weren't available. I put them in soups but haven't ever tried a tisane. If eating or drinking them you have to pick just the top leaves and make sure you harvest before flowering - which happens in June, as Jan says. Must try lemon balm as a tisane. Only ever used it as a garnish for fish and in salads- oh, and a bunch by an open kitchen window or door, or in your hat when gardening, keeps flies away!

(Just googled nettle and nutrition and got this, pasted below. I've never bothered with the hair-sieve bit myself.)

From a culinary point of view the Nettle has an old reputation. It is one of the few wild plants still gathered each spring by country-folk as a pot-herb. It makes a healthy vegetable, easy of digestion.

The young tops should be gathered when 6 to 8 inches high. Gloves should be worn to protect the hands when picking them. They should be washed in running water with a stick and then put into a saucepan, dripping, without any added water, and cooked with the lid on for about 20 minutes. Then chopped, rubbed through a hair-sieve and either served plain, or warmed up in the pan again, with a little salt, pepper and butter, or a little gravy, and served with or without poached eggs. They thus form a refreshing dish of spring greens, which is slightly laxative. In autumn, however, Nettles are hurtful, the leaves being gritty from the abundance of crystals (cystoliths) they contain.

In Scotland it was the practice to force Nettles for 'early spring kail. ' Sir Walter Scott tells us in Rob Roy how Andrew Fairservice, the old gardener of Lochleven, raised early Nettles under hand-glasses. By earthing up, Nettles may be blanched in the same way as seakale and eaten in a similar manner. They also make a good vegetable soup, and in Scotland are used with leeks, broccoli and rice to make Nettle pudding, a very palatable dish.
Wednesday 27 January 2010 2.45pm
Aoibhneas that sounds delicious, makes me hope that me weed-killer did not work last year!
Wednesday 27 January 2010 4.33pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Ah, great minds and all that ;0)
- or - fools seldom differ ;o)
Thursday 28 January 2010 8.18am
oops!

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 28 January 2010 8.25am
I actually happen to have one of these things (staring at me on the kitchen shelf)..which I am almost sure I've never used....by the way am I alone in finding the title of this thread ...er... a bit..um..startling? I mean I keep thinking of Purple Ronnie..
Thursday 28 January 2010 10.09am
Oooooh, Jackie! When I first saw it I thought of the uvula at the back of the throat. And they say men have dirty minds!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions