London SE1 community website

Multiculturalism failure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 28 October 2010 10.26am
Jackie, you're saying what so many think, but are afraid to mention. It breaks my heart to see the way this country's going. Sadly, as a father and grandfather, I fear it's past the point of no return. I hated the racism of the 1950' and 60's, when firstly the West Indians and then the Asians came over here and were looked down upon and verbally, sometimes physically abused. I felt they had every right to be here. As a colonial power we had taken everything that was worth taking from their home lands and in many cases treated them like second-class citizens in their own country. To offer those who wanted it the oportunity of a better life here was right and proper. Those first imigrants came here when this country was suffering from a dire labour shortage after the second world war had claimed so many of our young men. They were prepared to do jobs the average bloke here wasn't prepared to do. They came here for a better life and they wanted to work in order to achieve it. If it hadn't been for the West Indians there would hardly have been a bus on the roads back in the 1950's/60's. And how many of us have blessed the Indian or Pakistani shopkeeper who was open for business when we needed something in an emergency and everywhere else was closed? Today however, this country seems to be an open house for anyone and everyone. Most of whom have no history with it whatsoever and in many cases can't even speak the language. Our services are stretched to the limit. (How easy is it to get a doctor's appointment in SE1? It's nigh-on impossible where I'm speaking from.) The country's broke and we have millions unemployed, yet still they come. There are no jobs for them to imediately undertake, otherwise why have we got so many unemployed, so they go straight on benefits. No one was more delighted than me when the Gurkhas won their right to live here after retirement, but how many of today's imigrants from 'non-comonwealth' countries would be prepared to fight for this country if the situation arose?
I hated racism fifty years ago and I hate it now. But the way this country is losing it's pride and its identity through mass imigration is a crying shame. I feel there is so much rumbling beneath the surface at the moment and it worries me that one day someone will cry 'Enough!' Heaven forbid, we may again witness race riots in our streets.
Thursday 28 October 2010 5.53pm
Mohammed (and variants) is now the most popular boys' name:

Damian Thompson wrote:
...religious young Muslims are more likely than their parents to name their boys after the man they (and the ever-respectful BBC) refer to simply as “the Prophet”. This is a function of the Islamification of Britain's Pakistani community, which was encouraged by the last government to identify itself by faith rather than national background.
This is a complex phenomenon: Muslims throughout the world are adopting a “purer”, Salafi-influenced form of Islam, thanks to gargantuan Saudi investment in fundamentalist mosques and community schemes. But, under New Labour, the British taxpayer helped fund the imposition of stricter norms on this country's Pakistini and Bangladeshi immigrants, by handing over large sums to “community leaders” who used religious law to consolidate their power base.
With every passing year, primary school children - Muslim and non-Muslim - eat more local authority-funded Halal food and hear more about the original Mohammed. The fact that so many of the boys now have the same name must make life difficult for their teachers; and in the long run I don't doubt that it will make life difficult for the rest of us.
British liberals of all parties are to blame. SimonHughes is an obsequious example. We need a Tea Party
Friday 29 October 2010 11.25am
chalkey wrote:
Let me just say that when the expression, 'Whinging Poms' was being bandied about by the Australians, I came down firmly on the side of the Ausies.

Yes - the Brits are often pretty poor at integrating overseas as any visit to British ex-pat communities in Spain, Cyprus, France and so on will confirm.
Friday 29 October 2010 3.07pm
markadams99 wrote:
Damian Thompson wrote:
...religious young Muslims are more likely than their parents to name their boys after the man they (and the ever-respectful BBC) refer to simply as “the Prophet”. This is a function of the Islamification of Britain's Pakistani community, which was encouraged by the last government to identify itself by faith rather than national background.
This is a complex phenomenon: Muslims throughout the world are adopting a “purer”, Salafi-influenced form of Islam, thanks to gargantuan Saudi investment in fundamentalist mosques and community schemes. But, under New Labour, the British taxpayer helped fund the imposition of stricter norms on this country's Pakistini and Bangladeshi immigrants, by handing over large sums to “community leaders” who used religious law to consolidate their power base.
With every passing year, primary school children - Muslim and non-Muslim - eat more local authority-funded Halal food and hear more about the original Mohammed. The fact that so many of the boys now have the same name must make life difficult for their teachers; and in the long run I don't doubt that it will make life difficult for the rest of us.
British liberals of all parties are to blame. SimonHughes is an obsequious example. We need a Tea Party

Sorry? Are you saying that the popularity of variants of the name Mohamed is in some way a blameworthy thing?

And to back this up, your killer piece of evidence is a blog from the Telegraph that says how difficult it must be for a teacher to cope with (a) more than one person in class having the same name, and (b) someone in class having the same first name as someone they might be studying? And which then goes on to say "ooh won't it be difficult for us all when several people we know have the same first name?" I think I've got more respect for the abilities of teachers, and the general public, than your average right wing blogger.

As for "local authority-funded Halal food", are you more or less happy with local authority-funded kosher food, or LA-funded vegetarian food?

If can't help thinking (only because I've seen it here so many times) that if you'd come across such feeble propaganda disguised as factual reasoning from a "liberal" source, you'd have been ripping it to bits, MA99. Good to see that the blue polarising specs are still working.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 29 October 2010 3.55pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
Damian Thompson wrote:

Sorry? Are you saying that the popularity of variants of the name Mohamed is in some way a blameworthy thing?

And to back this up, your killer piece of evidence is a blog from the Telegraph that says how difficult it must be for a teacher to cope with (a) more than one person in class having the same name, and (b) someone in class having the same first name as someone they might be studying? And which then goes on to say "ooh won't it be difficult for us all when several people we know have the same first name?" I think I've got more respect for the abilities of teachers, and the general public, than your average right wing blogger.

As for "local authority-funded Halal food", are you more or less happy with local authority-funded kosher food, or LA-funded vegetarian food?

If can't help thinking (only because I've seen it here so many times) that if you'd come across such feeble propaganda disguised as factual reasoning from a "liberal" source, you'd have been ripping it to bits, MA99. Good to see that the blue polarising specs are still working.
You're a hoot. Glad you didn't exhaust all your sarcasm and anonymous spleen on Bungle et al in the Tate thread.
Friday 29 October 2010 4.42pm
If I've misunderstood it, then please tell me what you were saying.

And DO give the "anonymous" cobblers a rest, won't you? Unless you're trying to give us yet another example of your flawed logic.

Friday 29 October 2010 5.09pm
I must say my life isnt going to be any more difficult if there are lots of Mohammeds, any more than lots of Carolines or Emmas. Arent we rather straying from the point here?
Friday 29 October 2010 5.36pm
No, Jackie, you misunderstand (apparently ;0)). It appears that the very name Mohamed, in any of its spellings, is undermining the core of the nation. Not to mention befuddling teachers everywhere (poor things).

The sooner we:

- ban any Johnny-Foreigner-type names, especially those which predominate in non-Christian countries;
- ban more than one child in the same class having the same name; and
- ban any child being called the same first name as any person who might end up being mentioned in a classroom

then the sooner we make this country safe.

(Actually, we could maybe just dispense with names altogether and give them numbers. This would achieve all the essential National Security objectives in one go.)

Saturday 30 October 2010 8.28am
Ah I see..it's those FOREIGN ones...well,as long as they arent too hard to say, I'm OK with that too. Just so long as they speak English, and dont expect me to fast on Ramadan or have Christmas on 6th January (or whenever Orthodox Christmas is) oancel everything for Dawali, or make my grand daughter wear a veil. Any more than when I was at school no one expected all the Jewish girls to cop off during Roshashana. We are living in BRITAIN, the calendar goes according to the faith of the country which happens, if it exists at all, to be Christianity, and we speak ENGLISH. Our women dont shroud themselves from head to toe, and are allowed to date whomever they want. If this way of life seems unacceptable to you, PLEASE GO HOME AND DONT ASK ME TO LEARN URDU OR OPEN A SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR YOUR KIDS AND PAY FOR YOUR GRANNY'S HOUSING.
Saturday 30 October 2010 10.29am
Blimey! Methinks some people do protest too much.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions