London SE1 community website

Multiculturalism failure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 30 October 2010 12.01pm
...was that a protest against protesting or against protestation?
Wednesday 10 November 2010 1.28pm
As an Irish immigrant I feel that I can continue to be Irish in many ways, but should 'buy in to' the UK culture.

England's 800 year rule of Ireland may well have been unjust, judged today.

Also, my religion, RC was outlawed by the UK. Even today, my ambition to be PM would be thwarted by a rule that disallows me take the job. And if Prince William wanted me as partner, he would lose his claim to the throne, I believe.

But as a UK resident I need to put any such issues aside and contribute as best I can, based on the laws, customs, and ethos of the country I FREELY EMIGRATED TO.

On a personal level, the Moslem faith of many newcomers is a worry ONLY IF they want to change the laws, customs and ethos of the country they emigrated to. As a gay man, I will not be happy if they want to engineer a change in our way of life to reflect their faith. I will leave women to speak for themselves.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 6.12pm
Pheonix,
The words 'Irish' and 'Immigrant' don't belong together as far as I'm concerned. Oliver Cromwell may have a lot to answer for, but that was a long time ago. What is more recent is this.
I worked with a few ex Irish guardsmen many years ago, who, along with thousands of their compatriots who didn't live to tell the tale, volunteered to put their lives on the line for this country when a certain Mr. Hitler fancied his chances. Add to that the Irish labourers who sweated blood to build our motorways in the 1950/60's and the nurses who came here in droves and kept our hospitals going, and you can see where I'm coming from.
As far as I'm concerned, if someone comes to this country and is prepared to work, pay taxes and genuinely intigrate, then I have no problem with that. Unfortunately, we are currently an open house to too many of which none of the above applies.
As far as Roman Catholicism is concerned, I thought I heard recently that the 'Act of Settlement' prohibiting an English monarch from marrying a Catholic, was under scrutiny and, at some time in the near future, may well be abolished. And so it should be. It's an antiquated law dating back to paranoia over 'Popish plots.'
With Prince Charles already having stated that when he ascends the throne he wishes to have the title, 'Defender of the Faith,' changed to 'Defender of Faiths,' I think we're half way there.
However, as much as times have changed, I'm not sure we're ready just yet for a king and his 'partner.' But don't give up. I'm passed being surprised.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 9.19pm
Er em,
That should have of course been 'past.' not 'passed.'
Yet another Chalkey typo.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions