London SE1 community website

flujabs/swine flu jabs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 4 November 2010 9.08am
The last time i had flu i was pregnant and "lost" 3 days and could not take anything to relieve the symptoms and would not want to go through that again-many people get bad colds and think thay have had the flu but is not the case. I have a flu jab every year through my company scheme-thay do it to try and minimise time lost to flu but i have it as my husband is asthmatic and i would not want to pass it on. Thankfully apart from a sore arm i have had no reaction (this years is in 2 weeks so i hope I am not tempting fate here).I have not had flu either.

I think it is up to people individually to assess the risks and decide but as Zoe has pointed out it can save lives especially for elderly people or those with cronic conditions.I would hacve thought if you were in a risk category and was worried the best thing to do is to talk to your GP
Monday 8 November 2010 5.39pm
Blimey, just had the combined injection...watch this space....
Monday 8 November 2010 6.12pm
I'm amazed that my g.p. surgery sent a text asking me to make an appointment for the jab, i replied saying I was not going to as the combination was not in my best interest as I am on immune suppressant etc.,back came a text that it is the single one...I don't believe them! being an old cynic!
Friday 12 November 2010 9.03am
There is an enormous amount of misinformation here, much of it fuelled by an irresponsible tabloid press. The flu vaccine has saved many lives and will continue to do so as long as people continue to take it (look at the scientific evidence rather than conspiracy theories). Of course there will be side effects for some (there are for all drugs) but the risk of this causing serious harm is seriously outweighed by the risk of contracting flu (especially for the elderly or others with compromised immune systems etc). There is a clear clinical difference between flu and the common cold and the dangers of flu to health are very real. Please make an informed decision based on good quality research evidence rather than relying on dodgy articles in the press (think about their agenda too, it isn't about saving lives but rather selling more papers and nothing does this better than scandal and conspiracy theories about the State). The medical profession are by no means perfect but to engage in a somewhat paranoid delusion that they are all in it to fleece us of our money is rather sad and also extremely dangerous. I have huge problems with the money making activities of drug companies (esp. in the developing world) but at the same time recognise that more often than not the drugs they produce make a significant difference to our health and quality of life.

Best wishes and good health to you all, whatever decision you choose to make regarding vaccinations.

Dan
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions