London SE1 community website

How do you deal with moving on?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 19 April 2011 8.29pm
JonR wrote:
Mandela Way postal sorting office - you might just see some of the post that's dissappeared from round these areas, it's very rare apparently.
Sounds interesting, thanks.

JonR wrote:
There's a Waitrose somewhere in SE1 too, but I haven't found it yet.
Waitrose in SE1? Heh... keep dreaming ;) There's a new Tesco Metro on Borough Road thought :)

JonR wrote:
The best Fish and Chips ever, in Fishcoteque, under the arches near Waterloo Station (at the jubilee line side exit)
I disagree :) The best fish & chips is Master's on Waterloo road.
Thursday 21 April 2011 9.37am
Caprini on the Waterloo Road for a decent Italian meal. Perhaps not the most fantastic, but they haven't changed the decor since the 1970s which makes it all that much better.

The Old Vic (get in there at a cheap ticket while you are still living here)

The Globe
Tuesday 26 April 2011 8.03pm
So Tapestry, I moved from SE1 about 9 months ago. I feel your pain. And it got me to thinking about what I do and do not miss about SE1 and the surrounding areas now that I'm an official Devonian bumpkin. In the list below the first thing I miss, the second I do not.

East Street Market
Borough Market

Zucca
Village East

Four quid pints
The Roebuck, Marigold, Lord Clyde & The George

Colombo Street gym
Every other gym in SE1

Millwall fans shouting at my Fulham shirt
Millwall fans shouting at my Fulham shirt

Cycling to work through the back streets
Other road users trying to kill me (not all before the bombardment starts!)

Walking around early Sunday morning
Borough High Street at rush hour

Sirens, no really I do
Drunks at 3am shouting outside my window

Bumping into mates every time I went out
Bumping into everyone else

SE1, SE16 & SE17
SW7
Sunday 1 May 2011 10.42pm
Tattie wrote:
Caprini on the Waterloo Road for a decent Italian meal. Perhaps not the most fantastic, but they haven't changed the decor since the 1970s which makes it all that much better.
Passed the place too many times to mention... Now that you say it's good, must sneak in!

Quote:
The Old Vic (get in there at a cheap ticket while you are still living here)
The Globe
A tragedy indeed. My company arranged for discounted tickets on multiple occasions and just my luck that I had to be outside London each time :S At least I've done Young Vic :) And yes, Globe is definitely on my TODO list.
Monday 2 May 2011 12.32pm
Yes, Globe is a must! Saw Macbeth there last summer in the pouring rain. The atmosphere was amazing!
Wednesday 4 May 2011 8.54am
I miss being able to go out near/in central London, and not have to worry about what time to leave to get the last train, or tube, or night bus home.

I'm happy that we now live somewhere where we can actually afford a house (own front door, stairs inside) with a garden (they're very rare in SE1, and even rarer to come on the market, and extremely expensive when they do)
Friday 6 May 2011 10.35am
JonR and Mrs. R are splendid the way they stay in the loop with all of us...do people find similar set ups to this Forum when they leave the hallowed precincts of SE1?
Friday 6 May 2011 8.40pm
Oh, Jackie. Have you hit a nerve or what?
I couldn't get out of the Old Kent Road quick enough back in the late 1960's. My girlfiend was living in Essex at the time, and that's where I spent most of my weekends. The grass is always greener...........
Having lived in rural Lincolnshire and Hereford since then has taught me that the old adage is true: 'Once a Londoner, always a Londoner.'
I took it all for granted all those years ago, having the greatest capital city in the world on my doorstep. Now I realise how lucky I am to have moved back within striking distance of it. The best place in the world, bar none.
Of course, my old stomping grounds have changed out of all recognition, but London, please God, will always be London, and there will always be something in the air.
Sentiment? Nostalgia? Call it what you will.
Friday 6 May 2011 8.42pm
Oh, Jackie. Have you hit a nerve or what?
I couldn't get out of the Old Kent Road quick enough back in the late 1960's. My girlfiend was living in Essex at the time, and that's where I spent most of my weekends. The grass is always greener...........
Having lived in rural Lincolnshire and Hereford since then has taught me that the old adage is true: 'Once a Londoner, always a Londoner.'
I took it all for granted all those years ago, having the greatest capital city in the world on my doorstep. Now I realise how lucky I am to have moved back within striking distance of it. The best place in the world, bar none. A day in London is, once again, a real treat.
Of course, my old stomping grounds have changed out of all recognition, but London, please God, will always be London, and there will always be something in the air.
Sentiment? Nostalgia? Call it what you will.
Friday 6 May 2011 8.47pm
Sorry folks, I don;t know how I managed to post that twice and, try as I may, I couldn't delete it. Bad enough having to suffer my ramblings once, let alone twice.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions