London SE1 community website

Modern day manners..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 29 May 2013 7.20am
my sons school is very strict with mobiles and rightly so, he is glued to the thing outside school though, i was walking through a park last week and saw a circle of teenagers all looking at their phones, no conversation going on whatsoever, it is hard to imagine life without phones my son says, fortunately i dont have to imagine it, i can remember it, saying that i have embraced this particluar technology and it makes me contactable all the time which is good for work, i couldn't manage without mine although i always try and walk away from crowds or waiting rooms or use the corridor on the train out of consideration for others
Wednesday 29 May 2013 12.17pm
Just to think that there is a whole new generation growing up now who will never, ever have the satisfaction of slamming the phone down on someone....
Wednesday 29 May 2013 1.28pm
Lol Tattie...It used to be such a satisfying thwack...I suppose now if the offender thinks twice about cutting someone off they can say...signals bad...just gone through a tunnel!
Wednesday 29 May 2013 5.31pm
that little push on a touchscreen is just not the same Jan.....
Saturday 1 June 2013 1.41pm
My brother has just returned from Romania visiting friends, and was taken to their local church to see the beautiful ojects within, he ended up being blessed etc. pretty amazing really as the only religious education formally received by us children was the Salavation Army! But when he returned to his pew he was amazed to see a member of the congregation waiting his turn for the blessing, furiously tapping away on his mobile! mind boggles...
Saturday 1 June 2013 3.17pm
Jan the old one wrote:
My brother has just returned from Romania visiting friends, and was taken to their local church to see the beautiful ojects within, he ended up being blessed etc. pretty amazing really as the only religious education formally received by us children was the Salavation Army! But when he returned to his pew he was amazed to see a member of the congregation waiting his turn for the blessing, furiously tapping away on his mobile! mind boggles...

The guy was probably texting, "They come over here, crowd out our churches and jump the queue to get blessed, and they're worried about US flocking to THEIR country?"
Saturday 1 June 2013 5.34pm
Brilliant DebraJoan....really made me smile, oddly enough one young man who is Romanian and worked over here for about 5 years said he would not be going back as it's only a small island and he don't blame the people here getting the 'ump! so he is going to try New Zealand or Canada..not much in distance bless him! :-)
Wednesday 12 June 2013 1.26pm
It amazes me what people put on facebook etc. I've seen a few status updates saying that someone has died. Is that the first thing they think of to do?
Adults are as bad so it's no surprise children do it too. I worry about their spelling and grammar, if I send a text it has all the right punctuation in it, it takes me ages, can't stand this c u l8r thing!
Friday 14 June 2013 7.05pm
My giddy Aunt Holders that is dreadful to announce someones death on the very impersonal Facebook, and as for textspeak, it drives me mad, and oddly enough even though I am a cockney (almost!) when I ask my daughter a question via text and she replies...yeah..I tell her off as if she is 7 not 46! I am surprised that you don't have A levels in textspeak...i.e. how many words can you put on one line!
Friday 14 June 2013 8.36pm
Holders80 wrote:
It amazes me what people put on facebook etc. I've seen a few status updates saying that someone has died. Is that the first thing they think of to do?
Adults are as bad so it's no surprise children do it too. I worry about their spelling and grammar, if I send a text it has all the right punctuation in it, it takes me ages, can't stand this c u l8r thing!

That happened to my Family recently following the death of my Father-in-law, he was a local character and worked for a local Charity for many years. We were still in the process of making Funeral arrangements and informing Relatives, when I saw that a complete stranger had put the date and place of the Funeral on the local website. My daughter contacted the person and a few weeks later I got a message apologising,with an excuse that the person's computer had been out of order and she had not received my daughter's message expressing our distress. How this person found out about the arrangements so quickly and with out thought made them public is beyond belief.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions