London SE1 community website

Dodgy emails

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 21 August 2003 10.45am
Jac,

You may be a carrier (excuse the phrase), best thing would be to following the link as there are step by step instructions on how to remove the offending thing from your registry (if indeed it is on there).
jac
Thursday 21 August 2003 12.38pm
I have just run my virus check and it doesn't seem to have infected any of my program files (I am a pc user not mac) but as you say james it is a nuisance and im not recieving anything like the number you are.

Tizzy I think you are right as I have recieved emails that were undeliverable and one from New Zealand saying I had sent out an infected email even though I have sent out any emails to my knowledge. I have just realised that my virus checker was not checking my emails and have rectified that. So hopefully that will help. Will also get my more computer literate partner to have a look at it.

I guess I have been lucky up til now as this is the first problem I have had with unsolicted emails and I have been using email for as long as I can remember.
Thursday 21 August 2003 1.46pm
I don't think this worm is destructive, so your program should be safe.

Here is some more details:

This worm propagates by mass-mailing copies of itself using its own Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) engine. It collects email addresses from files with the following extensions:

DBX
HLP
MHT
WAB
HTML
HTM
TXT
EML

It sends out email messages with the following details:

Subject: <any of the following:>
Re: Thank you!
Thank you!
Re: Details
Re: Re: My details
Re: Approved
Re: Your application
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: That movie
Your details

Message body: <any of the following:>
See the attached file for details.
Please see the attached file for details.

Attachment: <any of the following:>
your_document.pif
document_all.pif
thank_you.pif
your_details.pif
details.pif
document_9446.pif
application.pif
wicked_scr.scr
movie0045.pif

It may spoof the FROM field using email addresses found on the infected machine so that its email messages appear to originate from one source but was actually sent from another.

(Jac - This is what probably happened to you and your NZ email)

This worm runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, and XP.

(Another great excuse to go Mac)
Friday 22 August 2003 2.34am
A great explanation from Tizzy, obviously a lot of work involved in that, and a service to us all, for which many thanks.

But it also points out the rubbish you have to put up with if you use Microsoft's software.

You bought your computer to do a job of work for you or to enjoy playing games, dvds or music on.

You didn't buy it to spend 2 hours studying the complexity of the the viruses attacking it. It's filling your head with knowledge you don't need and don't want.

It's Microsoft's job to ensure that the viruses don't reach you, or if they do, that they don't interfere with your machine.

With US$ 50 billion cash in the bank and thousands of programmers on hand, they have absolutely no excuse for letting it happen.

Yet some unknown hackers with no resources whatever, seem able to manipulate Microsoft software whenever and however they please, at random. As this latest virus/worm clearly demonstrates. How many have we had this year now?

Either Microsoft is simply incompetent or they don't care about the quality of the software they are selling their customers.

I know which I believe.

If I bought an expensive car, I would expect just to enjoy driving it around, not spending an hour every day with my head under the bonnet trying to fix it.

But things are going from bad to worse.

The present generation of XP now openly spies on what you do and reports it back to Microsoft.

The next generation, already in development, forces you to let Microsoft take remote control of your computer and decide which of your data files it will let you see. At a price of course... and recurring, not just a one-off !
The new version of Microsoft Office will be field-testing this concept.

They are about to totally lose the plot as far as the ordinary user is concerned..

No wonder the German government is turning over completely to open source right now....

Steve Ballmer (CEO of MS) himself was in Munich earlier this year offering huge discounts and begging them to keep the faith with windows - to no avail.

The issue from now on will be - who is controlling the computer on your desk - you or them?

Microsoft already knows the answer.

Post edited (22 Aug 03 02:58)
Friday 22 August 2003 3.29pm
I blame Bill Gates.

<rant> When will those thicko PhDs in Redmond get it through their heads that:

1. I never ever want to run a program that is an e-mail attachment without explicitly saving it to disk.

2. I always do want to see the full file name including extension/file type of any email attachment (and be warned if it is executable).

3. I never ever want to accept an email from someone that lies about their email address or tries to hide their identitiy behind a reply-to smokescreen or uses BCC or any of the other silly spammer/virus-writer tricks. I don't even want such nastiness to get as far as my firewall.

It's quite simple really, so why doesn't Microsoft fix it? Too many shares in Symantec, perhaps? </rant>

Z who already has more than her fair share of infectious diseases.

Monday 20 October 2003 1.41pm
“Your computer is as safe as you make it” is so true. But … One step further lies: “Your computer is as safe as your Firewall and Anti-Virus software make it”.

But there are so many products out there … Right?
And if you don't feel like shelling out any cash at all, then you can get one for free even, which is better than none at all … Right?
Windows XP has it's own built in Firewall, but is it effective enough?

Those are the first things we ALL should be looking at. During the last few months the Internet has been blitzed with worms, Trojans and viruses. Does it get any worse than this? Yes .. it does, because scripts are being written daily to wreak havoc (should they get a grip) which leaves the perpetrators with some warped sense of “achievement”. Don't ever think that those that come to light are the only ones that are actively working. Some can take weeks to propagate to become infectious. They merely lie dormant, hitting the few PC's, and then suddenly break open into a mass flood. The damaging scripts of the last few months are a logical progression, and these have been spoken of for a long time. It doesn't take a lot to figure out that sooner or later it would come to this.

There is only one form of protection and that is “the best”. So what is the best?

“Horses for Courses” here, because for every endorsement of one product you would get another to contradict. It's personal choice what you use and feel safe with, and that is rightly so. Be that Norton or McAfee or any other brand that you might choose. But what makes me comfortable is in knowing I get the BEST protection that I feel is right for me.

Blaster worm and SoBig came down as a “live update” to me and I wasn't infected by either. There have been others, of course, but none of them hit me. Truth is, I haven't been infected by anything over those few months just gone by. But what I have had is infected files detected by Norton through my mail and deleted before I even got to know they were in my Inbox.

Whatever product you use, it should offer you online probes to ensure your product is working at optimum in specific to your brand of Firewall/Anti Virus protection product. You should also have regularly updated definitions that will protect you that are released to notify you of any outbreak. It should also have download patches should you find yourself falling foul of any vius/Trojan.

Here is a site that I find really useful. It's the Gibson Research Centre in the USA. The site is written by Professor Gibson and his team and is really informative. If there is something that you don't understand you will find it explained here. He is no friend of Microsoft and he makes no apologies for that. But then he has predicted pretty much all that is happening (and is happening) for some time now. Well worth a visit, and you can test your PC for leaks … Should you wish to do so.

http://www.linkscomputersupport.co.uk/sports.htm

Click on the “Shields up” icon on the top centre to enter the US portal. It's lots more informative there and you can conduct a probe also see if you are at risk. You will find Professor Gibson's writings also.

*(Please note, I do not endorse any product or persons ... I merely make my own experience known and a web-site that is very informative and sutied to this thread)*

Franklyn

Post edited (20 Oct 03 13:46)

I don't declare myself to be a poet ... merely a writer of words.

Never underestimate the power of your thoughts.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions