London SE1 community website

State Benefits

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
jan
Wednesday 28 January 2004 7.35am
Ivanhoe, perhaps if rents were lower it would encourage more people back into work. It's very difficult to remain unbiased sometimes though towards people who drift through life without earning a penny to finance a far better lifestyle than your self.

I have a friend , same age as me, both her and her husband had not worked since approx 1966, well unless you count any unoffical income.. They moved into a beautiful new house, garden etc. in 1980 with their two daughters, her husband had a war injury that was so small on his body you needed a magnifying glass to see it, but it prevented him carrying out his ' official' trade...Antique Dealer! They have lived entirely off the state for nigh on forty years. I tried not to be envious when she showed me her curtains costing over one thousand pounds for her living room...or envious when she had her kitched redesigned the second time in six years, or get annoyed when her daughter had two children with out a partner, spending her entire benefit money on a pair of designer trainers for a baby...None of the household has ever worked.

But the proverbial icing on the cake was when she told me that her daughter was claiming carers allowance.. who far I asked.. ' well for me of course she replied...
How comes says silly old me.. 'well I get attendance allowance, and a mobility component'
Now at this stage I felt really sad - convinced my friend had suffered some dreadful affliction..I asked sympathetically what was wrong.... wait for it... she's diabetic. ( tablet controlled).and she has a bit of arthritis! So when I am battling to work, with limited painful mobility plus walking stick in this icey weather, I am reassured that the tax I am paying is going towards her top pf the range car with the heated leather seats.. I too would love to retire and stay at home, but having received my pension forecast of seventy seven pounds a week which would not even pay my rent or council tax, have resigned my self to working till at least seventy.
I have cut the last bit out about my husband as it was to depressing to read back!

Post edited (29 Jan 04 06:00)

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Wednesday 28 January 2004 9.22am
I have to say I agree totally with Big Dave.

The piss is being royally taken and I too was made to feel crap for claiming 2 months dole when between jobs by E & C Job Centre plus or whatever they have rebranded themselves as...

I wonder how much of the billion allocated to E & C regeneration will be fritted away on community consultation and other woolley procedures rather than on bricks and mortar stuff....

I seem to remember that Trevor Phillips said that a lot of people make a decent living milking the taxpayer on race/diversity/immigration etc issues that rely on guilt and have little or no tangible impact. Unlike Trevor who actually seems to care and gets things done.

Rant over.... coffee coming...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions