London SE1 community website

Calling all cider-heads

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 3 March 2004 11.15am
Dear all, yesterday I was walking by the Wye at Brockweir and splendid it was too. Daffodils and snowdrops scattered along the bank, a heavy frost and the smell of wood smoke in the cold still air. I called in at a restaurant next to St. Brievals castle for tea and cake and, on my way back to Stanley Towers, passed through Bream. I remembered that it was here, in the Rising Sun on days like this, that I used to be able to order my pint of traditional, draw a red-hot poker from the fire and plunge it into the cider and then sprinkle some dried ginger into it from a pot kept on the mantlepiece. All this while being closely watched by the half dozen or so old boys who seemed to be permanent fixtures. They would nod their approval and I'd drink my toddy.
This morning I thought I'd cycle through the Forest and call briefly into the local library to check my e-mails and to see what's exercising the SE1ers this morning........Oh dear, maybe I''l ride up to the Sun later and see if they've still got a poker by the fire. In the meantime, I shall be back next week and wonder if anyone would like to meet over a pint of that marvelous Stowford Press that they serve at the Oak? All welcome.
Wednesday 3 March 2004 11.46am
Alan,

I'd love to join you for cider in the Oak. Name your date and I'll be there.

[and stop making me so jealous by telling us how nice it is in Herefordshire]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 4 March 2004 11.28am
Alan, envy...envy envy....oh dear.....I'm jealous...wild daffodils and snowdrops...

jan
Friday 5 March 2004 10.02am
Did anyone see the TV 'documenatary' about the Tudor hotel in Clearwell? Some of the goings one were quite funny.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Friday 5 March 2004 11.22am
I did indeed, I particularly liked the AA inspector telling them that their vegetables were over-cooked and the owners agreed, but said that they'd been cooked to local tastes. A few years ago, when asked by a Forest resaurateur whether I'd enjoyed my meal, I complained that the "selection of fresh vegetables" had obviously come out of the freezer. He said that I was correct, but had no intention of changing the wording of his menu because nobody else had complained!
What about next Wednesday 10th?
Friday 5 March 2004 4.02pm
Alan,

I'm free for next Weds. I can guarantee to be there any time after 8.

Anyone else??

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Saturday 6 March 2004 11.39am
Would love the chance to learn more about obscure rugby traditions, and to pick up a few household tips. And to put a face to the beard as it were. But my juggling is not too great at the moment - and so though I'll try I can't be sure I'll make it.

But in case I do, where is the Royal Oak?
Saturday 6 March 2004 11.50am
It's in Tabard St. Sarah, I hope to be in there for about 8. Don't forget to wear paper bags on your heads!
Saturday 6 March 2004 7.00pm
Why?
Sunday 7 March 2004 4.56pm
It was discussed In James' "Not a dilemma as such......", I seem to remember that we were going to wear paperbags on our heads because Ivanhoe Martin wanted to maintain his cover.

Post edited (07 Mar 04 17:20)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions